Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bubble Nebula M52

Stub Mandrel

A very frustrating night. I set up crammed into a corner for an attempt on Bode's Galaxy. With the sky still not dark I got 3 30S subs before it hid in a tree.

Took some subs of M92 while waiting for ideas...

Decided to move to try and get M101 between two trees, while waiting tried NGC4036/4041 for a bit, but couldn't see anything on the screen

M101 just wouldn't come out of the trees. Tried the veil for a bit, but decided I really want to do it with a long lens rather than the scope to get the whole loop.

Had a go for the Bubble nebula. After about 40 minutes checked Stellarium and realised I was way off (no sign of a globular cluster!) Discovered my DEC stepper had slipped out of engagement... after much faff finally got on target so did just over half an hour. Half two when I started packing up so at least I have this one plus perhaps a few short runs to play with as well.

M52 globular at top left, Bubble nebula and NGc7635 at centre, also NGC7538 at top right and NGC7510 at bottom right.

Bubble nebula.png

Nice image--I like the framing.  I've learned it takes weeks to make an image that has potential to please me. (a potential rarely realized).  Good job with the gremlins nipping at your heels.

Rodd

Thanks, it's an astro-modded Canon 450D and a 130P-DS which is delivering everything promised!

I think there is  fair bit more to come from this image especially SH2 157 which is a Ha region with three 'fingers' reaching into the bottom right and more nebulosity all over the shop, but a bit of a battle between teasing out the faint bits and keeping noise under control.

7 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great image, despite the troubles you had.

I like the first rendering best, the second is too hard pushed IMO.

I agree, but at least it shows what's there. I will try using the RGB from the second with the LUM from the first.

Sh2-157 is very weak in this image, but it is definitely there. Carefull processing might bring it out, but ideally you would need to spend more time on this target to bring the noise level down. More data -> easier processing, as always.

5 hours ago, wimvb said:

Sh2-157 is very weak in this image, but it is definitely there. Carefull processing might bring it out, but ideally you would need to spend more time on this target to bring the noise level down. More data -> easier processing, as always.

Agreed, it's only an hour's data and I don't have the best skies.

But I have tried a new approach that significantly reduces the noise (basically pre-stretching as a 32-bit image before finishing in Photoshop). i think this one is a bit better, it's a brand new process not a blend of the two above. I think it has more detail and less noise.

Bubble 2.png

Archived