Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lakeside Motor Focuser Power supply

Hi All,

Received my new motor focuser the other day and wanted to ask the best way to power it.

There is no cigar type plug attached so can i attach the wires directly to my PSU terminals or do i have to crack the soldering iron out to attach a plug?

It is stated to be that way on both Ian King and lakeside.

I didn't really think much of it as I imagined that you could just get the adapter and screw the wires in rather than have to solder it

27 minutes ago, KyleStoke said:

It is stated to be that way on both Ian King and lakeside.

I didn't really think much of it as I imagined that you could just get the adapter and screw the wires in rather than have to solder it

I use these cigar plugs they are superb and have a rubber seal to stop any moisture getting in the socket, also they are screw terminal so no soldering... :) And they have fuse fitted, which you can change for lower rating if you wish.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291171331824?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bill

1 minute ago, RuralBill said:

I use these cigar plugs they are superb and have a rubber seal to stop any moisture getting in the socket, also they are screw terminal so no soldering... :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291171331824?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bill

Thats what I had in mind cheers Bill

This is my obsy plug box, I have a similar thing on the portable setup, no point using XLR connectors in line as it were, you can just fit an in line fuse in the live cable then wire it direct to your power supply.

BTW I have a couple of Lakeside focusers and they work really well.

Dave

Obsy-plugs.jpg

Just now, KyleStoke said:

Thats what I had in mind cheers Bill

No problem, I use them on all my kit, and with the matching sockets they are waterproof and will twist and lock so nice and secure, you can use them in normal cigar sockets too, but without the lock and water resistant features, you need there sockets for that.

they are not the cheapest but are the best, and like I said before no soldering.....which I like too :) 

That looks like a custom job, I have something similar that I built, which has three of the sockets I linked to, a 5 port powered USB hub, 4 dew controller outputs, 4 RCA 12v auxiliary outputs, an 8v output for DSLR power, and all fused with panel mount fuse holders.

work a treat

Bill :)

20 minutes ago, KyleStoke said:

Hi Dave, Im hoping go down Maplins today so I will pick some up and have a play with them

I used the pretty blue ones but they also do a slightly different black version, they also do a selection of project boxes.

Dave

On my portable setup one I've stuck Velcro on the the back of the box and tripod leg to hold it in place, Maplins sometimes have a nice wide black Velcro otherwise Halfords usually have it.

Dave

Archived