NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to attach finder guider to scope

Hi all. I've modded my 9x50 finderscope into a finder guider using a QHY5 and a connector from modern astronomy, however now I have got to figure out how to attach it to my 130PDS. I'm aware it needs to be as solid as possible to avoid flexure but I'd also like it so it's easy to take off too. Would be good if it doesn't cost too much as well. Any idea or advise on this one? Cheers. 

There is 2 ways I can think of.

1, Replace your finderscope with the guidescope and get a Telrad to use as a finder.

2, I think you can buy an adapter to fit in to your finder shoe and it allows you to use your finder and guide scope together.

2 hours ago, hobsey said:

There is 2 ways I can think of.

1, Replace your finderscope with the guidescope and get a Telrad to use as a finder.

2, I think you can buy an adapter to fit in to your finder shoe and it allows you to use your finder and guide scope together.

Thanks for that. I want to still use my RACI finderscope as well (should have mentioned that) so 2nd option is better although I'm concerned about how solid the guide scope is going to be, would put quite a strain on the adapter I'd imagine. I've seen it where people have rings on their finder guiders which are connected to a plate that is attached the rings on the scope. I quite like the look of that set-up as it looks solid but not sure what parts I need for it and also how you can put it on or take it off.

Dont use the finderguider in the finder shoe (major source of flex).

Get a dovetal bar, stick it on top of the 130pds tube rings, then attach the finderguider to it using the most solid mounting you can find... something like this (except without the flimsy makeshift dovetail) - thats not my 130!

post-373-0-84406900-1375629308.jpg

As you can see, that leaves your finder shoe available for a lightweight finder (I used an RDF in mine).

Or, if you want it uber easy to remove, mount the finderguider on the base of a vixen dovetail clamp like this:

IMG_1970.JPG

18 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Dont use the finderguider in the finder shoe (major source of flex).

Get a dovetal bar, stick it on top of the 130pds tube rings, then attach the finderguider to it using the most solid mounting you can find... something like this (except without the flimsy makeshift dovetail) - thats not my 130!

post-373-0-84406900-1375629308.jpg

As you can see, that leaves your finder shoe available for a lightweight finder (I used an RDF in mine).

Or, if you want it uber easy to remove, mount the finderguider on the base of a vixen dovetail clamp like this:

IMG_1970.JPG

Thanks I like the look of the vixen dovetail clamp. Any idea how I first mount the dovetail bar to the rings on my 130PDS and what parts I need for that, also what length dovetail do I use?

Its the 21cm dovetail (medium) theyre quite cheap:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html

To bolt it to your tube rings you need some 1/4" UNC or Whitworth bolts, available here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/1-4-inch-socket-head-whitworth-bolts-x2-3-4-inch-long.html

Im not sure what length you need, FLO sell the 3/4" and 1" length bolts. You just need to measure the thickness of the dovetail bar to work out which one you need.

1 hour ago, Uranium235 said:

Its the 21cm dovetail (medium) theyre quite cheap:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html

To bolt it to your tube rings you need some 1/4" UNC or Whitworth bolts, available here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/1-4-inch-socket-head-whitworth-bolts-x2-3-4-inch-long.html

Im not sure what length you need, FLO sell the 3/4" and 1" length bolts. You just need to measure the thickness of the dovetail bar to work out which one you need.

Great stuff! I've already got the dovetail bar, so just need to buy the bolts. I also need some rings for the finder guider and the plate the rings sit on, can you recommend these too? Cheers.

This is what I used:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-mqr-iv-finder-holder.html

I removed the leg (it allen bolts off) and just used the mini dovetail and rings. However you might need to drill and tap a hole or two in the dovetail bar on top of your scope as the holes dont quite match up. Tapping an alu bar is pretty easy, its only soft metal. A tapping set (M3 - M6) can be gotten from B&Q for a tenner.

Archived