NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Having problems with guiding that Im unable to fixed need some help.

Darien

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 15:23, Freddie said:

That's not a very accurate way to polar align. You may want to look at drift alignment using DARV and PHD also has an alignment tool you could use before starting your guiding. There are many other software alignment tools but I prefer using my imaging cam with DARV.

Ok Freddie Ill look into it thanks:)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Darien said:

I did fix that problem by turning the RA backlash of and adding 5 to the dec making huge improvements in my dec/ra graph in PHD though I still have some spikes that appear that I need to get rid of.

are you talking about backlash settings in the hand control ? These should both be disabled before using PhD ! 

On 15/07/2016 at 17:38, Darien said:

Hello Freddie,

Assuming "PA" means, Polar Alignment... I do the usual procedure in aligning to Polaris using my polar scope I try to mimic the constellations in the night sky to what it shows in the polar scope. For some reason it dosent always end up in the eyepiece after it slews to the star I choose but its not too far away... its usually some minor tweaks tills I find the star. Darien.

You are aligning it then also making sure polaris is in the little ring on the circle aren't you?

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Sorry! From your description I thought you might be just aligning on the constellations which is more or less what they have to do in the southern hemisphere.

No need Neil! Your're trying to know what's happening:)

33 minutes ago, Atreta said:

can you tell what steps you took to improve it?

I turned off the RA backlash(00) and add 5 to the DEC backlash(05) also lowered the DEC aggressiveness on PHD  from 100 to 70 Ra set at 60 and lastly making the SCT east heavy

1 hour ago, Darien said:

I turned off the RA backlash(00) and add 5 to the DEC backlash(05) also lowered the DEC aggressiveness on PHD  from 100 to 70 Ra set at 60 and lastly making the SCT east heavy

Excellent that you found a solution - well done!

It would be interesting to see if resetting the adjustments you made back to their original position reproduce the error

When I find a solution to my astroimaging woes I re-set it to remove what I think was the solution - to see if I get the error again :-)

This way I can be sure I "fixed" it and that it wasn't some other factor that I corrected inadvertently 

Again, well done - I had this problem with my AVX imaging at Kelling Heath one year, it clouded over before I corrected it - haven't imaged in the field since but intend to in the Autumn.

David

1 hour ago, Darien said:

thank you 

12 hours ago, Ken82 said:

Dec backlash should also be switched off in the hand control . Although such a small value won't make much difference even setting it at 1 would have a negative effect . 

thinking my problem was major it was only an incorrect setup of guiding and PHD.

Archived