NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7822 in colour.

ollypenrice

Sadly this is an Ha target before all else. I just can't get the structures to show in broadband. Still, here we go. There is OIII in here as well as Ha but it had to be tortured to screaming point to add anything. It does relieve the 'red-out' just a tad. This has about 17 hours all in.

NGC7823%20HaOIIRGB%2017Hrs%20WEB-XL.jpg

Olly and Paul.

2 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

That's a nice image olly. You will get the structure when you get all the data. I think those structures need rgb data if I'm not wrong. 

No, this has plenty of RGB. The problem is that the structures in the gas are only picked out sharply in narrowband and, in this case, in Ha. They are dissolved by the broadband data. It is always that way but in this case the problem is worse because there is so little alternative to red in the nebula itself.

Olly

55 minutes ago, Astroboy239 said:

Hey olly, why don't you specifically use a bigger scope only for the structure in the middle? 

Varad 

You don't need a bigger scope, if the TEC140 gets you down to the resolution of the seeing that's all you can do, a longer focal length will just increase the image scale. My (smaller aperture) 5" refractor will resolve very fine detail in the core when using my Atik490EX.

ChrisH

5 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

Hey olly, why don't you specifically use a bigger scope only for the structure in the middle? 

Varad 

4 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

You don't need a bigger scope, if the TEC140 gets you down to the resolution of the seeing that's all you can do, a longer focal length will just increase the image scale. My (smaller aperture) 5" refractor will resolve very fine detail in the core when using my Atik490EX.

ChrisH

Actually Paul and I had thought about bringing the TEC140 into play for the smaller, brighter, part of the nebula. (This image is all Tak FSQ106.) We are clouded out on his last night so it won't be this time. It might well be worth a try, I think. 

However, there are some objects which will reward a natural colour treatment because they repay in colour richness and variety what they lose in NB resolution. This object - well, maybe not? :crybaby2:

Olly

Archived