Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Bit of the Veil Nebula

Stub Mandrel

This is another one from the 5/6 July. Clearly the 150PL isn't the best scope for this target, unless I make a VERY big mosaic, but useful learning - I need a shorter FL and longer subs for this target (anyone giving away a 130PDS?)

I completely failed to get this with my 10D, but the modded 450D also being 16-bit seems to give it a huge advantage in picking up fainter objects. I was very surprised how clearly this came out considering how 'undark' the sky was - sagitta was barely visible to the naked eye with averted vision so for that part of the sky the NELM was close to 4.3 with a combination of lack of astronomical twighlight and LP.

Veil Nebula.png

55 minutes ago, Tzitzis said:

How do you get such rich starfields? I'm just sitting in awe... Such a rich starfield! Seems like I'm chilling by the veil!

No secret, it just lies along the Milky Way. I didn't try and make the background too black - because unresolved stars fill the background with faint light, except for a few threads of dark nebulosity.

What amazes me is the difference between that shot and one taken away from the plane of the MW.

It seems this part of the Veil is known as the 'Witches Broom'.

Thanks, most of my pictures from that session are pretty much the best I have done so far, practice makes perfect with both the taking and the processing. I can't wait for an opportunity to get some really dark skies in a month or two.

Archived