NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Registax Processing Help

Hi guys,

Cloud cover finally lifted to allow me to do some imaging. Took quite a few frames of Saturn, but I'm struggling with Registax since I'm quite new to it.

I've attached the original tif file, and the rendered JPEG from Registax, which is the best I could do for now. I would really appreciate it if someone could have a look at the tif file and have a go at it in Registax, and just walk me through what they did.

Thanks!

Syed

Saturn Post-Registax.jpg

Saturn Pre-Registax.tif

You say that you took quite a few frames but you attached 1 tif. For planetary you would normally take a video (avi) to stack in Registax or better still Autostakkert.

How did you capture your images?

Peter

Just now, PeterCPC said:

You say that you took quite a few frames but you attached 1 tif. For planetary you would normally take a video (avi) to stack in Registax or better still Autostakkert.

How did you capture your images?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I used a ZWO ASI 120MC-S to capture the images. The plan was to capture it in AVI format, but unfortunately the setting got switched to PNG. I combined the PNG files in PIPP to get an AVI file, and then processed the result in AutoStakkert!2. The tif is the output from AutoStakkert!2 which I then had a go at processing in Registax.

Cheers,

Syed

6 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

We need more information. Telescope, camera, how many frames etc.

Hi Peter,

T: Skywatcher 200P 

C: ZWO ASI 120MC-S

Frames: 40,000 --> Best 25% selected in PIPP --> Best 1% stacked in Autostakkert!2

Cheers,

Syed

1 minute ago, PeterCPC said:

40,000 frames seems rather a lot. I would normally go for less than 4000.

Peter

Clear nights have been a rarity, and will be for another week or so at least. Plus I'm starting work in a few weeks' time so I'll have less and less time to play with the setup. You could say I'm overcautious I guess! I figured I'd rather have more frames than less. :)

Syed

3 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

There is a limit due to rotation but I'm not sure what that would be for Saturn. Someone else might chip in. I try to keep it to 150 secs to obviate changes in seeing conditions.

Peter

Thanks for that. What percentage of files would you suggest to stack in AutoStakkert?

Archived