Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This set up or would you recommend something else?

Hi all,

Completely new to all of this, but I'm interested in a set up for viewing the planets, but I have a fondness for DSO's and would love to capture these. From what I'm seeing, my budget would definitely need to be higher than I thought originally (£300 max). I can do this if I buy things over a longer timescale (and a birthday is around the corner, so perhaps I can wrangle some items then ;-) I was astounded and impressed with the images captured in this thread with the following telescope: 

So it looks like at a minimum I would need:
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-deluxe.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/skywatcher-coma-corrector.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/single-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq5.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/skywatcher-dslr-m48-ring-adapter.html

Does that look about right? That thread was started in 2014, and I'm not sure if there are even better options out now for around the same price, or if there is a bundle you can buy that does all that and more for even less than the combination of those items. I'm open to your suggestions.

I'm thinking I would also perhaps just start with a telescope and mount and after a few months of experimenting and learning the sky, get further into it with the addition of a motor and DSLR adapter for my camera etc, and even a computer portion for locating things in the sky easier if required.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary

Sure, the 130pds is a great scope for dso's but I'm sure others will point out that when it comes to imaging then the mount is the most important bit! Warning: imaging tends to be a financial bottomless pit! You should really be considering a much better mount such as the Celestron AVX or SW Heq5 pro so clearly you need a bigger budget. However, before buying anything it's worth spending the time studying astrophotography via a good book such as Making Every Photon Count (available from FLO). That will help you decide what you need and why you need it, and what's involved in the dark art.

For coma correctors I'd recommend the Baader MPCC over the SW. Don't forget, you also need to budget for lots of bits and pieces such as guide camera + guide scope, cables, lp filters, power supplies etc. It all adds up!

It's a bit quiet on here at the moment but I'm sure others will come along and offer their advice and suggestions.

All the best

Louise

I was hoping to keep costs to a minimum but still allow room for add-ons in the future. I see you think the Sky Watcher HEQ5 PRO mount is the better choice, but like you say, it's £750 compared to the Sky Watcher EQ5 Deluxe mount at £230. Other than the GOTO computerisation etc on the HEQ5, is there much benefit to me buying that over the EQ5? I realise it has an 11kg carry capacity and the EQ5 Deluxe only 9kg, but the 130PDS only weighs 4kg from what I can tell, so still room to upgrade to a larger scope in future if required. I then planned to add GOTO ability, motorised units etc to the EQ5 Deluxe mount as time and money allows. Would I not be smart to do it this way?

5 hours ago, tehmac said:

I was hoping to keep costs to a minimum but still allow room for add-ons in the future. I see you think the Sky Watcher HEQ5 PRO mount is the better choice, but like you say, it's £750 compared to the Sky Watcher EQ5 Deluxe mount at £230. Other than the GOTO computerisation etc on the HEQ5, is there much benefit to me buying that over the EQ5? I realise it has an 11kg carry capacity and the EQ5 Deluxe only 9kg, but the 130PDS only weighs 4kg from what I can tell, so still room to upgrade to a larger scope in future if required. I then planned to add GOTO ability, motorised units etc to the EQ5 Deluxe mount as time and money allows. Would I not be smart to do it this way?

Hi Gary

Well, as I mentioned, when it comes to imaging, the mount is the most important part of the setup, so in the long run it's worth the extra investment. It's up to you how you spend your money!

Louise

I too started out looking at the EQ5 Pro, then moved to the HEQ5 and eventually decided that the NEQ6 Pro was the right one for me...I still occasionally regret not going for the GT model.

I'm definitely a subscriber to the theory that if you rush and buy what will just about do the job today you will be shelling out much more money tomorrow.

Perhaps it'd be worth keeping an eye on Gumtree or similar sites to get something second hand? Unfortunately lots of people give up on astronomy when they discover the pains that it brings....to others this just makes us more determined!!

Archived