SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello. Obviously with AP stability is a must to achieve quality images. So a heavy duty quality mount is required to achieve this. The two that seem to have  a strong following for AP are the skywatcher EQ5 and the EQ6(not cheap but great for stability for AP). 

I hope this helps☺ 

I would also recommend the Neq6 of skywatcher also called the eq6. It's a really good and stable mount. It's just a bit heavy. As your topic says upgrading ota. I would recommend a reflector. They are fast, cheap, durable. But you have to colimate them and they give diffraction spikes. If you don't want to colimate if you are lazy you can go for a refractor or Schmidt cassigrane. They are slower and costlier and also heavy. Takahashi has a few good quality fast refractors along with the esprit series of skywatcher. Cassigrane will mostly be celestron for me. Skywatcher has a good range of refractors of f4 and f5. I'm not a expert but these are my suggestions. 

Thankyou 

Varad 

Seems a little odd, you are asking which OTA in the title and getting told to upgrade the mount. :happy8::happy8::happy8:

Assuming the title is correct you want a smallish scope along the lines of an apo triplet. ES do an 80mm APO that is good and I think they have an "improved" one somewhere. The newer scope name has "100" in the name, I think this reference to "100" relates to the glass type used in it/them, Schott or Hoya if I recall. I know someone got hold of a preproduction one and gave it a very good recommendation.

There is also the WO Star 71 which has good reports from the US, I see you are in Carolina. I think there is a new variant due soon as the "old" one was ceased.

Not sure which Skywatcher mounts are easily available to you, they are increasing in the US, but if a mount them maybe the iOptron CEM60.

Thanks for all the reply's, its all very useful information. Now that I'm learning and finding out more from the members here in the forum, the more I want to spend, LOL. The level I would like to reach means a whole new setup so trying to weigh all my options. I will check out the EQ6 and some of the Triplet refractors, thanks again for the advice.

Archived