Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I want to make a dew shield

Jimtheslim

Forgive me if I am going over old ground but I have tried running a search and couldn't find a close match. I want to make a dew shield for my Skywatcher 250px. I have a camping mat, sharp knife and an intention to spend some time ruining it in order to give me something to do for an hour or so. I was just wondering if anyone had made one for this telescope before, if so do you have any tips/feedback?

Thanks in advance

the rule that I know about dew shields is that to be effective they need to be at least 1.5x the diameter.  I have an 8" scope, so need a dew shield that is 12" long. You need extra length to allow for connection to the scope.

I have made dew shields out of camping (yoga) mats and used super glue to join the mat into a tube.  A few test pieces soon showed that the glued joint was far stronger than the mat itself.  So far the ones I made have lasted a few years but they are starting to look a bit tatty!.

Archived