NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie needs help with Registax

Hello everyone

I am just starting out. I have a Skywatcher 200P telescope on an EQ5 mount, driven in RA. I have a Sony NEX-5 camera. Last night I shot some video of the moon, thinking to load the file into Registax, and see if I can get a better image than the stills I have taken so far.

Problems, problems. The Sony makes MP4 files. So I got a video converter (Super) to convert to an AVI file. I can't open it. Registax says "Range Check error" and then falls over.  By the by, I don't really know how much video I should have - I shot about a minute, so I guess that's about 1500 frames. 

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Hmm - PIPP seems to want me to install the .NET framework, which I'm not going to do. I ought to say - I'm running Windows 7 inside an emulator on a Mac, which I suspect is adding some layers of difficulty!

My camera only makes MP4 and AVCHD (and I don't know much about the latter)...

Ruth

6 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

If you process the mp4 file through PIPP the programme will convert the file to a version of .AVI that Registax can handle.

Can you possibly tell me more about the version of .AVI that Registax (or Autostakkert) wants? I have lots of video conversion tools available, but no AVI spec to work to...

Thanks, Peter. Unfortunately it didn't - it seems to refer to v.5 and I'm using (trying to use) v.6. Not to worry - I have a found a good work-around. I have an app called Compressor which is a video processing tool, which can export a video as a series of uncompressed TIFF files, which import to AS2 very nicely :-)

Archived