Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bahtinov Mask - Dew Shield On or Off?

Until recently I've always taken my dew shield off my newt' before using my bahtinov mask to focus but recently I've got a bit lazy and started hanging it off the front of my dew shield. So my question is; will doing so affect the accuracy of my focus? Does the extra distance of the dew shield in front of my scope affect how the bahtinov mask performs?

I have no real idea of how the bahtinov mask works, other than employing some form of dark magic so am clueless to whether I still get perfect focus with it hanging off the dew shield.

My thoughts have been that the light entering the scope should be parallel (or so close ...) and thus a dew shield distance away from the scope should make no difference.

But that is my thought and I'm not experienced to say what the situation really is so would welcome somebody correcting (or confirming) my own thoughts.

Ian

Archived