Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging in june, anyone?

matt-c

Anyone still out there imaging in the UK at this time of the year? (Im north east England around 54)

For the first time in months I've got a few hours of clear sky tonight trouble is its between 10pm and 1am is it actually dark enough to get anything?

The more gear i aqquire the more reluctant i am to set it up, strange times.

Cheers 

Matt

9 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Yep :-) Sessions are short 'n sweet though. Narrow band filters are your best bet, and 11:30 to 2:30 is just about do-able.

ChrisH

Assuming that it's clear... ;)

This makes for interesting reading if you happen to live in a light polluted area:

https://darkskydiary.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/twilight-vs-light-pollution/

It's perenially amazing to me how a small step south makes so much difference. I'm at Lat 44 and we get a minimum of about four hours' astronomical darkness. It's also the season for some of the most appealing targets from around the galactic centre. 

Olly

47 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

It's perenially amazing to me how a small step south makes so much difference. I'm at Lat 44 and we get a minimum of about four hours' astronomical darkness. It's also the season for some of the most appealing targets from around the galactic centre. 

Olly

If only id carefully planned i could have booked up at your place and even managed to see a spot of football. 

My wife's not a fan of coincidences but a man can dream. :tongue2:

7 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

... or a small step north (Lat 60); If I were to attempt imaging any time during the night, I could sit by my telescope and read a newspaper, printed version.

JuneRoundMarked.jpg

On the other hand, we're blessed with long dark nights and low noise conditions during the winter.

Cheers,

4 minutes ago, wimvb said:

... or a small step north (Lat 60); If I were to attempt imaging any time during the night, I could sit by my telescope and read a newspaper, printed version.

JuneRoundMarked.jpg

On the other hand, we're blessed with long dark nights and low noise conditions during the winter.

Cheers,

Yes, in July/August 1981 I rode my motorbike up north of the arctic circle and experienced the strange feeling of having no darkness at all. I remember, also, that people still had their snowmobiles in their drives just uner simple covers. A land of extremes!

Olly

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎04 at 21:18, ollypenrice said:

Yes, in July/August 1981 I rode my motorbike up north of the arctic circle and experienced the strange feeling of having no darkness at all. I remember, also, that people still had their snowmobiles in their drives just uner simple covers. A land of extremes!

Olly

Yesterday I heard the reason for this: in the town of Kiruna they reported 4 deg C and snowfall. That is just two weeks before the celebration of the summer solstice.

Truly a land of extremes; ertainly not a land of summer astrophotography.

Cheers,

Archived