Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing in Mozambique

DirkSteele

Last year I was fortunate to spend two wonderful weeks at the &Beyond Benguerra Island resort which is located off the coast of Mozambique.  I have final found the time to write up my experience of stargazing on the island (thank goodness I take good observing notes when I travel!).  I took my Takahashi FS-60 with me to the island and had several nights of memorable stargazing under some dark skies.  The report includes a summary of the resort, sky conditions as well as three nights of observing reports which were at different times.  The full report is on my astro-website so follow the link below.  It is a long one so grab a cup of tea / coffee before you start!:icon_biggrin:

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2016/05/28/stargazing-in-mozambique/

Taken about 45 minutes after sunset, this single frame shows just how dominate the Milky Way and obvious the Zodiacal Light was on the Island.

MW and Zodiac resize.jpg

Hope you enjoy the report.  Please let me know what you think.

Excellent post and wonderful place. Definitely worth visiting before it gets spoiled for ever with lights and massive turists.

By the way, interesting astrosite you have! Congratulations.

Cheers

A wonderful piece of writing Matthew, as I have come to expect from you, always a pleasure to read your work with some beautiful photo's too. Plankton for company, I have never had that but with the amount of rain it could be on the cards soon. It sounds like a very good place for the lovely 7 inch APO of yours. It is a shame that you could get a bigger scope out there with you but it sounds like you enjoyed every minute.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2016 at 16:32, alan potts said:

A wonderful piece of writing Matthew, as I have come to expect from you, always a pleasure to read your work with some beautiful photo's too. Plankton for company, I have never had that but with the amount of rain it could be on the cards soon. It sounds like a very good place for the lovely 7 inch APO of yours. It is a shame that you could get a bigger scope out there with you but it sounds like you enjoyed every minute.

Alan

Thanks Alan, its appreciated.  If only I could find a way to take the 7" Apo out there. That would be something.  I think on my next trip to far away lands with dark skies I will limit the camera equipment so I can take something with a bit more aperture to really take advantage.

I have just arrived back from a week of stargazing in Namibia which really delivered.  Took good observing notes so hopefully will find the time to write it up over the coming months.

Archived