Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and 5 moons

habbyworld

Right now at 11.25pm i have focused on jupiter. To the left just above jupiter is one moon. To the right, right next to jupiter is a double, like 2 moons. then alittle further out are the other 2. Does anyone know what i was seeing.

I tryed to take a photo, but my camera is not good enough.

I see 5 that were close. I used the 10mm lens. I thought there were only 4 large ones. I was supprised to see 5. Hence the reason why i thought i would post my sighting on here to see if anyone had any idea of what i have seen. I have friends here and they all see the same as what i did.

HW, Is this about what you saw ? The camera has normal orientation so adjust for your scope config. If so, then the bright spot on the opposite side to the moons, according to Stellarium, is HP95077 Mag 5.5 186 Light Years distant

post-14118-133877343464_thumb.jpg

According to SkyMap Pro your extra "moon" is star GSC 6309-953 of mag 11.54

Tonight at the same time one of the (real) moons will be on the other side of Jupiter and strangely there will be another star NGC 6309-994-1 in a similar position to the first star relative to Jupiter although a bit closer. The original star will have moved relative to Jupiter to the other side. Don't forget Jupiter is moving quite fast on this scale relative to the background stars. As has already been said, none of the other moons will be visible with amateur equipment.

Archived