Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

solar viewing

Hi,

I have a nice Altair Astro Wave 80 APO (80/480).

Would it be ok to use it for solar viewing? Maybe using a Herschel wedge or Daystar Quark? I'd be somewhat concerned about the coatings on the lenses, or whatever (oil/air) sits between the lenses.

Thanks,

Martin.

Assuming it's an air spaced standard doublet/triplet (likely but check) there's no danger to the coatings or the scope if you use the correct equipment. I'd highly recommend a Lunt wedge. It could be argued that exposure to the UV light of the sun could benefit the coatings as these wavelengths apparently kills any hint of fungus/spores etc.

Hi Martin,This scope should be fine for use with a HERSCHEL wedge,as said before make sure it is not oil filled,otherwise it will be very good for Solar use,though there is very little action on the sun at the moment. 

I have a Lunt wedge which I can recommend ,though most makes work well,it is down to price

All the best ,J.L.

Archived