NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASI224MC - which filter to use?

ian_bird

Quick question. I have an ASI224MC camera which does not have an IR cut filter built in and is IR sensitive.
I also have the IR-Cut and the IR-Block filters.
My question is which is better for the following:
Moon at night.
Moon during the day.
Planets at night
Planets during the day.
I'm guessing that the IR Block would be the best for the day time usage - but does anyone have any advice?
Cheers.

I'm unaware what the difference is tbh! ;)

I don't think there is any...just the same filter, different terminology...if you look at the Baader filter for example, Baader call it an iR/uV "blocking" filter whereas some of the retailers of this specific Baader filter call it an iR/uV "cut" filter. :)

Essentially you want one of these with the ASI224MC to limit your colour outcome to that of the human eye's visible spectrum...this provides other benefits to the image outcome beyond just some type of "true colour rendition."

If you look at these filters' transmission curves/charts you will understand this a bit better...

We used an Astronomik "L" filter with the ASI224MC for the aforementioned purpose...any of the various brands of "Luminance" filters provide this function... :)

Hi Ian:

I used a ZWO IR cut filter with my most recent images. It did change the colors. However it considerably cut the light reaching the camera which in turn reduced the frame rate by as much as half.

Mike

Archived