NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

mono v colour asi 1600

iwols

just looking at the zwo asi 1600 but cant make my mind up between colour and mono to go on ed80 for dso and c8 for planetary ,i know all the sensitivity/filter debate but would i be missing out much with the colour version where other filters are concerned,or any other comments appreciated as always ,cheers

If you plan any solar imaging, get the monochrome version.  An RGB chip only captures on the red channel in Hydrogen-alpha, giving you only one-third the number of pixels and much less detail.

1 hour ago, Lowjiber said:

If you plan any solar imaging, get the monochrome version.  An RGB chip only captures on the red channel in Hydrogen-alpha, giving you only one-third the number of pixels and much less detail.

If the chip's filtered RGGB, as they usually are, it's actually only capturing on a quarter in Ha.

Using a NB filter of any kind as well as an RGGB Bayer filter array is very, very slow and has poorer resolution. If you intend to use NB fiters then do go for the mono.

Olly

For the sort of short exposures you use for lunar/solar/planetary (ie fractions of a second) I could see no difference in noise between cooled dark frames and uncooled dark frames. Once you start getting out to a few seconds exposure and beyond then the cooling makes a big difference to the noise, particularly if you turn the gain up.

cheers,

Robin

PS. missed out the rather critical 'no' in the first sentence when I posted this initially :embarrassed:

1 hour ago, rwg said:

For the sort of short exposures you use for lunar/solar/planetary (ie fractions of a second) I could see no difference in noise between cooled dark frames and uncooled dark frames. Once you start getting out to a few seconds exposure and beyond then the cooling makes a big difference to the noise, particularly if you turn the gain up.

cheers,

Robin

PS. missed out the rather critical 'no' in the first sentence when I posted this initially :embarrassed:

is the 178 any good for dso work thanks

Archived