Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IEQ30 pro perhaps inadequate for 127 APOs

View2

Well I took out the ieq30 mount with my 127 millimeter refractor triplet and there was a lot of vibration even when ballanced. I also had to use the counterweight extension bar to get the scope to balance an RA. I think it is just too long, havy and taxing the limits of the 30 pound payload mount. The dovetail is also too short to accommodate the torque of a 4 foot long scope like this with 2" EPs. I think I will be upgrading to the ieq45 pro, with the 6 inch long dovetail. I think that's the main problem is the dovetail is too short on the ieq30 for a long 20 lbs scope that needs one focal extender tube to focus and using 2-inch eyepieces. Ioptron said they're up for the swap. I was wondering if anybody has had similar experiences?

Without being able to give a specific answer I suspect that the mount is running a little on it's limit. I went looking for the SmartEQ to use a smaller refractor on that weighs in at 3.5Kg, as I wanted a small goto to use almost as a grab and go and totally visual use. The mount looked sort of boarder line and the tripod really looked inadaquate. However they were rated at 5Kg and as said the scope was 3.5Kg.

Both retailers I dropped into said they would not suggest the scope on the mount. I would guess therefore that iOptron are a little optimistic in the weight that their mounts will comfortably handle.

My scope was 2/3 the mount capacity and your scope is again 2/3 the mount capacity. I suspect the mount will operate at the quoted capacity but I get the general impression that it will not operate comfortably at the quoted capacity. Even on the visual side. As mentioned 2 retailers of the mount both said that it would not be good for the scope.

I am now considering the CEM25 for the scope, when the mount appears here. Which when you think about it means I cannot comfortably use a 3.5Kg scope on a 5Kg rated mount but have to opt for a 12Kg rated mount.

Returned an ieq30p today for an iEQ45p. I liked the quality construction and the smooth silence in slewing of the 30 so much that the iEQ45 pro was an easy upgrade for me. My scope is only 20+ lbs but is about 4 feet long with dew shield out, and there is the 1 focal extender, 2" star diagonal and 2" eyepieces....

A 6" dovetail/Losmandy mount will be nice.

Now I wait some more...:coffee22:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived