Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ID on inherited binoculars from USSR

I recently got a set of binoculars back from my dads estate (my nan had given them to me when I was a kid,  and I had given them to dad decades ago)

Just curious if anybody has any information on them, seems to be Russian writing and I noticed they are exceptionally clear when compared to another set of binoculars I have. they are 8x30 and have a serial number 8319210 and say they are made in the USSR but that's about all I can see on it (apart from cryllic? writing I cant type so included photos)

I really don't know anything about binoculars to be honest but curiosity is getting the better of me today (just got them back today)

20160509_151545.jpg

20160509_151600.jpg

20160509_151714.jpg

• Like 3

forgot to upload these - not real scientific but I stuck my phone up to each of the binoculars

the first photo is Hanimex 7x50

the 2nd photo is these ones made in USSR 8x30

can kind of see how I was surprised by the difference in picture, the old Hanimex binoculars I have suck in comparison? maybe the lens is dirty inside or somthing

20160509_131759.jpg

20160509_131844.jpg

As far as I can discover, the first two numbers refer to the year of manufacture. In your case this will be 1983. I have a pair of 12 x 40's that I bought new in the early 70's and they have a serial number starting with 73.

The Russians acquired the Zeiss factory ( in Jena ), all it's equipment, designs and workers during the last war. These were copied, and where possible improved, for much of the Russian optics manufacturing which is why they are so good. Up to the fall of the Berlin wall they exported only the best quality but afterwards we started to see some of the reject items that previously only went onto their local market.

Nigel

• Like 3

Thanks heaps Nigel :)  Nailed the info I was after and more :) (Ive had a cannon camera with carl zeiss lens thinking about it, guess the Russians copied them pretty good as my camera lens was great too)

I thought they might be much older from the beat up condition of the binoculars hahahahaha, but I'm really impressed with picture quality they have. Now I know its not from some war a relative of mine might of been to - I'm happy to use them on my fishing kayak (I suddenly don't like my other binoculars so much after seeing the clarity of these ones lols)

Edited by danielmc

Although the Russians got most of the stuff and some personnel from Jena, other members of the staff got to the west and started up the factory in Oberkochen. Products from there carry the 'Carl Zeiss' name while the Jena factory continued under the 'Zeiss Jena' name.

Nigel

• Like 1

Pretty interesting and tumultuous company history from the sounds of it. Thanks for the extra info mate, I might chase up another set at some stage with a little more magnification as I'm really impressed with these ones (they are physically substantially smaller, with more magnification power/clarity compared to my Hanimex binoculars - so much easier to store on a small kayak where space is limited)

My dad used them on his houseboats for years - I assume quite often from the condition of them now hahahahha, kinda nice to know the gift was appreciated and well used though. I really appreciate your time and knowledge mate cheers!

These are clones of the Zeiss Jena 8x30s, which is why they are so sharp. I believe the manufacturer is ZOMZ, who also make Tento and Sotem brands, all with very good glass. As Nigel mentioned above, the quality was superb until the fall of the Berlin Wall in  1989, so the most sought after models are pre 1990 (although that's not to say you can't find good post 1990 examples).

These 8x30s can be picked up for a song. I have a pair in mint condition which I bought on Gumtree UK for £13! And they are to my eyes every bit as good as the Jena CZ which would cost around £100 plus on ebay etc.

Yours look to have been well used/loved, but the lenses still seem to be very clear and sharp.

Enjoy!

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks for the extra info Dave :)   I'll be sure to chase a pre-90s used one on ebay, now I know what to look for with the serial numbers it should be easy :) (will get one with a little more magnification if I can)

(Mind you I just had to spend $300australian/150pounds on fishing gear to replace what I lost overboard on my kayak a couple days ago so it might be a little "financial recovery time" first lols)

I'll make note of the brands you mentioned mate, and keep my eye out for a good deal in a month or so I reckon. Thanks heaps guys you have all been really helpful and its muchly appreciated :)

Have a tops day fellas :)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 09/05/2016 at 01:39, danielmc said:

I recently got a set of binoculars back from my dads estate (my nan had given them to me when I was a kid,  and I had given them to dad decades ago)

Just curious if anybody has any information on them, seems to be Russian writing and I noticed they are exceptionally clear when compared to another set of binoculars I have. they are 8x30 and have a serial number 8319210 and say they are made in the USSR but that's about all I can see on it (apart from cryllic? writing I cant type so included photos)

I really don't know anything about binoculars to be honest but curiosity is getting the better of me today (just got them back today)

20160509_151545.jpg

20160509_151600.jpg

20160509_151714.jpg

ussr binocular1.jpg

ussr binocular2.jpg

They are are Russian Zomz or Tento or similar 8x30s.

Based on an old Zeiss Jena Jenoptem design made on machinery taken from East Germany after the war.

Built like a tank, good optics, sometimes with a yellowish rings to the view, but very sharp in the field centre and with good contrast.

Lots about on the 2nd hand market so not valuable moneywise, but as an heirloom worth keeping and using whether by day or by night.

Enjoy 😉👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 2