Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

solar filter for transit of mercury

Hello everyone, I have been looking at trying to get a solar filter for my telescope as there is a transit of mercury coming up soon. I am leaving it very late and I am wondering if I acn get actually get any online.
There are 2 different options you can get to protect your telescope from the sun. The 1st one is solar film. The advantage of solar film is that if you get a big enough piece, there will probably be some spare. This can be used for your binoculars. The other adavntage of solar film is that it is much generally much cheaper than ready made ones which directly fit onto your scope. The big disadvantage of film is that you have to make it fit onto you telescope which means buying bendy card and other materials which I do not have. A possible solar film:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DS7S52W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004SN02TO&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=VX7E4RMT174S4CCDSDNV

This is extremely cheap and big enough for some spare for my binoculars which are celestron sky masters 15x70. My telescope is a sky watcher 150PDS (opening 6 inches). The downside of this film is that the reviews said it was dark when you looked through it and nos sunsopts were visible. This became evident when I saw the images taken with the film. Another possible solar film:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baader-Planetarium-AstroSolar-Filter-Observation/dp/B002SYD2EM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1462607805&sr=8-5&keywords=solar+filters

I have heard that baader do the best solar filters and they certainly seem like they have a majority in the solar market! I am sure you can see sunspots with this white light filter. This particular one is unfotunately too small for my telescope. How ever I am tmepted to go with baader next time!
I have seen that you can build your own filter for viwing the sun:

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/Viewing-the-Sun-How-to-Build-A-Solar-Filter-For-Telescopes

Is this a good idea? Or am I just making more work for myself.
Then there is the possibility of ready made filters which fit straight onto your telescope.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baader-Planetarium-AstroSolar-Filter-telescope/dp/B00UX40I1O/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1462610585&sr=8-12&keywords=solar+filters

This one looks very good. It is made by baader which are top of the range and to me it looks very good quality. I have heard that you need your film to be slightly bigger that the opening of the scope. For example, a 210mm filter would fit a 200mm opening. This one is 160mm and my opening is 150mm. Perfect. The downside is that this is quite expensive. Is £90 worth a white light filter?

Are there any possible h-alpha filters for the sun for a reasonable price? It would be fantastic to get mercury just next to massive prominence. Are there also any calcium-k filters again for a reasonable price? I would probably be viewing the sun quite a lot as light pollution in London does not affect it at all. H-alpha filters:

http://www.thousandoaksoptical.com/halpha.html

Finally, is it possible to take photos through one of those white light filters with a DSLR (Canon EOS 60D) . I am very intersted in astrophotgraphy and well as visual observing.
Thanks
SEB

I use the black polymer in your first link. Some say the Baader is better for various reasons. But I've used both and prefer the black-stuff. The orange-yellow colour is gentler on my eyes, with plenty of detail.

Have fun & Good luck getting this fast enough!

Dave

I think you will be lucky to get a filter in time for the transit, especially by mail order. Can you visit an astronomy supplier in London ? but check first if they have any in stock. Demand has been very high because of the transit.

Firefox won't let me go to the site, Wanderer. Says it's not secure and may steal my information. But I opened my (Yuk!) IE and got in no problem.

They look to be a good bet on having such available. But I'd run! The countdown is on.....

tic, tic, tic...

Dave

6 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Firefox won't let me go to the site, Wanderer. Says it's not secure and may steal my information. But I opened my (Yuk!) IE and got in no problem.

They look to be a good bet on having such available. But I'd run! The countdown is on.....

tic, tic, tic...

Dave

Use chrome!

5 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I use the black polymer in your first link. Some say the Baader is better for various reasons. But I've used both and prefer the black-stuff. The orange-yellow colour is gentler on my eyes, with plenty of detail.

Have fun & Good luck getting this fast enough!

Dave

I got it!!! Baader astrosolar safety film for 20 pounds. Not bad. I am now making it attach onto my telescope.

Looks good !

Remember to remove or completely cover your finder scope for solar viewing. People have been known to have their clothing burned by leaving their finder in place - or worse !

19 hours ago, John said:

Looks good !

Remember to remove or completely cover your finder scope for solar viewing. People have been known to have their clothing burned by leaving their finder in place - or worse !

Doesnt look like ill be seeing much. Totally cloudy in London.:cry: I went to all that trouble to see its cloudy.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 21:13, John said:

Looks good !

Is it safe to look at the sun with that filter by itself or do I need anything else to go with it?

SEB

Archived