Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan Star Alignment issues - New NEQ6

Hmm.......When I try to do a star-align, the scope seems to be several degrees out.  

As far as I can tell, I've polar-aligned and entered the right data.  

Last night I tried it again.  Tripod leveled, I got Polaris in the polar scope, not absolutely exact, but within the circle.  I set the scope to the home position and checked I could see Polaris in the finder scope.  I switched on the supply, went through the Synscan setup, Longitude and latitude correct for my location, time zone 00.00, date/time correct in mm/dd/yyyy, time set to 22.30 as it was then, daylight saving set to ON.   1-star alignment on Arcturus - it moves to the general area of the sky, but is still several degrees off - is this normal?

Thanks  

John

You will get better results with practice, you could on the first star that the scope slews to, undo the clutches and move the scope to line it up, then try slewing to another Star see how far off it is then...

Yes, it us usual for the first star to be way off because the mount has only an approximation of where it is based on your pa and setting the scope in the home position. Just think, if it got it right first time there wouldnt be any need for calibration. That would be nice :-)

Thanks all, useful information and it inspired me to try again last night. 

I discovered the problem - A schoolboy error - I hadn't noticed a minus sign before the elevation.  I think it must have defaulted to this on the night I first entered the data, so instead of +114m above sea level, I was 114 below.  I changed this and for the first time Arcturus was in the EP on the first star alignment.  I was amazed what a difference it made, and I was happy :happy7: 

John

Archived