Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Connecting Stellarium to your Telescope

I'm trying to connect Stellarium on my windows 10 computer to my telescope (a Sky watcher 150PDS). The telescope came with a RS-232 cable but my computer does not have that port so I got a usb serial converter. I connect the telescope to the computer. The telescope is on and all the details are entered (date,time,lat etc). I then open stellarium and got to telescope configuration and enter in the necessary information. Then after I have added it, I press start and it says connected. But when I click on Jupiter and then press control 1, the mount does absolutely nothing. I have downloaded ASCOM and stellariumscope but  not quite sure how to use them yet.

Can anyone solve this?

Thanks,

Galatic wanderer

Make sure that you are using a good quality usb/serial adapter, not all adapters work. Also check that the correct comm port has been assigned in both windows device manager and Stellarium. Last thing, don't select PC-Control on the Synscan handset, this usually stops Stellarium from taking control of the mount. Stellarium has its own mount drivers so doesn't require ascom or stellariumscope to operate. 

Thanks for the quick replies

I think I am using a good quality serial adapter. heres the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462128392&sr=8-1&keywords=rs232+serial+adapter

How do I know which comport it is? The computer is an Lenovo X201. Do I need stellarium scope to control the telescope?

Thanks again,

seb

1 hour ago, Galatic Wanderer said:

Thanks for the quick replies

I think I am using a good quality serial adapter. heres the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462128392&sr=8-1&keywords=rs232+serial+adapter

How do I know which comport it is? The computer is an Lenovo X201. Do I need stellarium scope to control the telescope?

Thanks again,

seb

From the windows Settings menu, go to Devices and then Device manager. The usb/serial adapter should be listed under Ports (COM & LPT). The usb/serial adapter will be listed as  Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMn) where n is the assigned comm port number. Always plug the adapter into the same usb port on your computer so that the same com port number is assigned to it.

And you don't need Stellariumscope to control the mount. Stellarium's own internal mount drivers will do that.

device manager.jpg

Archived