Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 & surrounding regions- reference guide

pyrasanth

Fantastic,

but poor Mark, now you do not only have to collect M101 data but also do all those frames around it for a mosaic.........

You should be happy you are not doing M51, these are the 2000+ galaxies that Ole Alexander detected in his image

m51 galaxies.jpeg

3 minutes ago, gorann said:

Not sure how Ole Alexander did it, I will alert him on this thread

Thanks- cloudynights forum post suggests that we could get to the 23rd magnitude which is really deep for a back garden telescope. If the weather clears tonight I could push the L layer into 14 hours plus of data- that would be nice as I really want 20 hours for the L (80 x 15 minute subs)

I used ImageSolver/AnnotateImage in Pixinsight.

It doesn't detect the objects in the image so you will have to set the limiting magnitude yourself.

500-600 stars is what i guess for my M51 image and around 2500 galaxies.

Just a quick annotation of M101...around 3000 galaxies.

Not all are in the image and some in the corners aren't in the exact position of where they are annotated...others can be clearly seen, but aren't annotated

M101_3_Annotated.jpg

Perhaps you can answer this question. I can successfully solve the image with imagesolver but when I run the annotate image script I get "No WCS data in the header". I ran the WCSscript & I see there is no WCS data in the header- what am I doing wrong?- perhaps you could write a quick set of instructions on how to annotate for me?

As for M101 when I've finished my image I will start to image the other 3000 galaxies around it - should take me about 100 years.

Archived