Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Auto Meridian Flop in SGP

PhotoGav

Well, I was very excited earlier as I had every intention of doing an automated meridian flip with SGP for the first time ever tonight, but my plans were thwarted before I even started. I opened the telescope control panel in SGP and the 'Run' button in the 'Use Auto Meridian Flip' section was greyed out, so I couldn't do it. I did the flip manually and carried on imaging. Meanwhile, I had a look online and found a solution that was to set 'SideOfPier' to 'Physical' in the EQMod driver setup. So I did that and sure enough the 'Run' button was no longer greyed out. I didn't try the auto meridian flip. Instead I tried to expose another sub, but PHD2 had gone haywire and couldn't control anything. I changed the SideOfPier back to 'Pointing' and PHD2 worked properly again.

So, what are the correct settings to get an HEQ5 mount to auto meridian flip with SGP? Please help me!

There is a thread on this on the SGP forum and you do need to change the pointing state to 'physical' and ensure you are using the latest eqmod release.  It may well be advisable to recalibrate in PHD2 after this too.  Are you also using pulse guiding?

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

There is a thread on this on the SGP forum and you do need to change the pointing state to 'physical' and ensure you are using the latest eqmod release.  It may well be advisable to recalibrate in PHD2 after this too.  Are you also using pulse guiding?

Thanks Barry. I will check the SGP forum and apply myself to this on a bright moon night I think. I am not pulse guiding, I have 'on camera' selected, which I believe is ST4.

2 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Pulse guiding is a better option - one less cable, automatically adjusts for differing angles/sky positions (no need to recalibrate), faster processing of the feedback loop and mount commands . . .

Thank you Barry. Another option to try and fold into the mix!

Absolutely. It worked again last night. Mesmerising to watch. All I need now is autofocus and it will really be a sinch! Plans are coming along nicely for a dome-home for it all too... #lovin'thishobby!!

Archived