Aurora timelapse - Iceland (March 2016)

Hi guys, before you get any further let me apologise for the poor focusing on both of these. The Samyang lens continues to cause me grief focusing in the dark at 10 degrees below :(. The subs are also a little noisy (both partially to compress them for hosting, but the second one particularly because I was experimenting with ISO3200 instead of my usual 1600 which I don't think works as well).

Either way, I hope you enjoy them. Both taken with the Canon 1100D with a Samyang 24mm Lens, mounted to a Dynamic Perception Stage One timelapse rig. Taken in Iceland last month here, one facing west, one facing east.

Cheers

Will

5 hours ago, Mick J said:

Many thanks Will, we were on that road August 2015 and wondered where in Iceland Aurora could be seen from (at the right time of year), enjoyed, good work.

Its a relatively good place, although I maintain that in Iceland the chances are you can get good aurora a good 50% of the time between October and March when the weather is good enough. Haha, it's this last bit that is often the problem and diminish the chances overall (as with the UK really!). Many of the really good images (like the ones you see in Astrophotographer of the Year) tend to be taken in the south, usually around a place called Höfn where there are some ice floes which are great for reflections.

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Those are great, especially for someone like me who has never seen an aurora. Many thanks.

Olly

Thanks Olly, that means a lot coming from you and I appreciate it :)

57 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Who cares about the focussing!!! These are outstanding.  Congrats.

Haha, thanks also gnomus. I think I've been doing Deep Sky stuff too long as these days all I can see is bad focus, backlash and noisy images! Looking again I'm pretty pleased with the result :)

Thanks also for all the comments :)

Will

Archived