NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 redo, your thoughts required plz

simmo39

After posting my M51 from a moon soaked night I have tried to do a redo using cosmetic correction. although the new image is pleasing in some ways im not sure if I have hit the right nail! Before I get lynched by the family for showing them anymore pics of M51 i thought i would try a more discerning clientelle  .... You...

here is the best of old image

m51apr16sec1comb_zps2n6zu4ii.jpg

and the redo with cosmetic correction.

m51.sigma_zpsmpe9xmx4.jpg

Im not sure im using the tool correctly so any pointers would be helpfull. Many thanks.

I'll be the first to throw my hat (opinion!) in: my preference is probably for the first one. I like the darkness of the surrounding space/stars and m51 itself is much sharper in the original (despite the fact m51 is a weird fuzzy object at the best of times!)

...having said that, both are lovely images :)

Cheers

Will

Well, let me go 2nd. I'm going to totally disagree with Will above :)

The version 2 is much superior, the black point is badly clipped in ver 1 making the background much too dark (space is not black!) and you have lost signal from the galaxy flux around the main spiral structure. Ver 2 is much more accomplished, nice faint signal from the flux and colour in the galaxy. Perhaps there is still a little colour noise in the background but overall ver 2 is a huge improvement and very nice M51.

1 hour ago, Twisted Lip said:

I'll be the first to throw my hat (opinion!) in: my preference is probably for the first one. I like the darkness of the surrounding space/stars and m51 itself is much sharper in the original (despite the fact m51 is a weird fuzzy object at the best of times!)

...having said that, both are lovely images :)

Cheers

Will

Hi, yep I like the darkness too but not sure if its the right way to go.

1 hour ago, johnrt said:

Well, let me go 2nd. I'm going to totally disagree with Will above :)

The version 2 is much superior, the black point is badly clipped in ver 1 making the background much too dark (space is not black!) and you have lost signal from the galaxy flux around the main spiral structure. Ver 2 is much more accomplished, nice faint signal from the flux and colour in the galaxy. Perhaps there is still a little colour noise in the background but overall ver 2 is a huge improvement and very nice M51.

I agree M 51 does look better in image 2 but would still like to darken the background a little more. Think I need to experiment some more. thanks for the pointers.

Archived