DIY laptop shade / dew shield

IanL

I have been meaning to make one of these for years, but my laptop seems to stand up to dewing quite well. On the other hand now I have got in to solar imaging the Mrs is not too happy at having to wash extra towels when I borrow one as a shade (plus the neighbours are giving me funny looks).

Anyway here are my plans and build instructions for a large laptop shade (lots of space for shared viewing), total cost less than £20 and will withstand night-time use a lot better than a cardboard box:

http://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/2016/04/diy-laptop-shade-dew-shield.html

21 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Should be very useful - I was only thinking about the same need a few days ago while trying to focus my Solar scope, I had to drape my black scope cover over the laptop and my head to see the screen!

ChrisH

Yes same problem - head under towel looking at the screen, fumbling around trying to find the focus and pressure tuner knobs by feel!

Does your shade/sheild stop all reflections as there must be some behind you?

For solar imaging, though I don't do so much these days, I used a large cardboard box and cut the bottom off it so It would sit over the laptop.  I made a small lift up flap to insert my hands so I could reach the keyboard and cut a sort of pillar box style slit at the top corner to peep through.  Keeps all reflections off the screen and I don't sit facing the sun.  

For night time use I have this plastic blue box - holes cut out for cables and two flaps to shut and enclose the laptop when I am not needing to look at it (see green flap folded back onto the top):

Blue box.jpg

Reflections from behind the viewer will still be an issue.

I did consider the possibility of a "what the butler saw" arrangement (those of a certain age will know what I mean!), but I discounted it as being less practical than the towel over the head setup for working on the scope whilst viewing the screen.

I purposely designed this with extra space and a sloping back wall so the screen can be angled best to minimise any remaining reflections.

Archived