USB Network server - what am I doing wrong?

lukebl

Hi folks. I'm in the process of setting up my new obs, and attempting to sort out a USB Hub to connect everything up to my house/warm room to minimise on cables. The idea is that the guide cam, main cam, focuser and mount will connect to the hub by USB, which will then be connected to the computer by a single ethernet cable. So I got one of these, 4-port powered hubs:

26435360981_d4c134883b_z.jpg

I naively thought that it would be a simple thing to do, but the pc won't recognize the hub. I just get this error message on the software:

25898594603_d6fbb625c5.jpg

Any ideas for someone who's pretty clueless about computer hartdware?

22 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Have you downloaded the right software from the link provided on the Maplins website? if so have you rebooted since installing the software ?

Yes, done all that.

I'm sure it's probably operator error. Should the CAT5 cable connect the hub to the relevant socket on the computer, or should it go somewhere else?

you could use a back to back cable, but it would be better to connect your PC & it to an external switch. NOTE, this must be running @ Gigabit speed, it will not work on anything slower i.e. 100 MB\sec...

13 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

you could use a back to back cable, but it would be better to connect your PC & it to an external switch. NOTE, this must be running @ Gigabit speed, it will not work on anything slower i.e. 100 MB\sec...

Forgive me, but I really am a complete numpty when it comes to computers and I have no idea what any of that means! I usually just muddle along and things work eventually.

You need to buy one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1460983008&sr=1-1&keywords=gb+switch you plug your pc into one of the ports and the USB server into one of the other ports. You could then plug the switch into your broadband router, which will give you internet connectivity.

It may be possible to use your broadband router directly, if it has a number of local network ports, but it must be able to operate at 1000MB\sec (gigabit) speeds.

Oh well, after a day of faffing about, I've put it back in the box to be returned. I finally got it working (sort of), but connections seemed erratic and my guide cam kept timing-out in PHD. I just don't think it's up to the job (hence, I guess, the low user-rating on the Maplin website).

I just wonder how others manage it? Is there a more powerful USB Network hub which would work? I suppose I could use a few 10m USB repeater cables, but I'm trying to reduce the number of wires.

I used one of these.

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/usb-over-cat5-cat6-extender~USB2004EXTV

It  connects to the ethernet port on your pc, the cat5/6 cable runs to your telescope where their is a 4 port usb2 hub that is powered.

It works really well.

It's 150 euros ,A bit expensive but works.

30 quid seemed too good to be true for the Maplin one.

Might be better off having a stand-alone PC in the obs and connect to that via Remote Desktop (or whatever) - that way all your hardware connections would be short, the only long connection would be via LAN to your house PC. Also, you can operate the gear locally from inside the Obs when necessary. It's an established strategy and it works.

ChrisH

49 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Might be better off having a stand-alone PC in the obs and connect to that via Remote Desktop (or whatever) ....

Yes, Chris, you're probably right. I had exactly that setup in my old place, but I wanted to try something different this time!

I used Team Viewer, which is fine, but there was always a bit of a lag and I wanted to be able to connect directly from inside.

Archived