NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Short session before the clouds

Piero

As the title says, just a short session before the clouds arrived. The seeing was very good but the humidity was not really friendly this evening. The Moon was really beautiful from here. Only used my Vixen SLV 9mm and Delos 8mm with or without powermate. Again, different eyepieces, but to me the image quality they deliver is at the same level or at a level so close that I cannot spot differences. Both give razor sharp views to me.  

Date 13/04/2016
Time 21:30-22:13
Location Cambridge, UK
Altitude 12m
Lunar Phase Waxing crescent 42%
Temperature 13C (W 0 km/h)
Seeing 1 - Perfect seeing
Transparency 4 - Partly clear
Telescopes Tele Vue 60 F6
Eyepieces Vixen SLV 9mm, Delos 8, PM2.5x

Moon - Satellite 40x, 45x, 100x, 112x
I managed to observe the Moon a little bit longer than the other targets as this was free from clouds for a while. I spent about 20 minutes floating over our Satellite, magnificently dominating the sky. How many craters, how many minute details on its surface! A pure crystal image with gentle or craggy hills. A really lovely sight!

Jupiter - Planet 100x, 112x
I could detect the North temperate region but the sky transparency was not good due to high level of humidity. I could not spot features or irregularities on the equatorial belts.

M65 Leo Galaxy 45x
Leo triplet. Just detectable with direct vision. Even at this reduced exit pupil, the moon glare was just too much for observing more about this target..

M66 Leo Galaxy 45x
Leo triplet. As for M65.

Alpha Gem Dbl Star 100x
Castor. Perfect split. The two star discs were well distinct and separated. Unfortunately the sky was getting clouded, otherwise other double stars could have been viewed with this steady seeing.

Nice report Piero as is the norm from yourself. I have had a few short sessions the last few nights cut short for one reason or another. This is cloud and horrible seeing in the most part and my Son yelling out the window the computer has had a heart attack another. 

I have had another hour plus try though didn't write about it on E and F but without any success, this was a night of reasonable seeing when the moon was very thin, I am beginning to wonder if this is doable for me. I feel I am running out of windows of opportunity this year as Orion starts to slip lower, the walnut trees are now starting to come into play by 10 o'clock and it now stays light until 8.40ish. I will give it one more go before the the chances slip away until later in the year or next. The Horse looks to have got away from me too but oddly I am not that bothered now, there are plenty of other things to look at.

I agree Paul, the sunset was very beautiful last evening and it's also getting warmer to observe! First night I wore normal clothes! 

My fingers are tightly crossed for the next weekend when I am in Italy! Hopefully a session on Jupiter and then Mars/ Saturn with the 200 and these new Delos eps..:)

Thanks Alan. I think one of the nice thing of astronomy is that we can always come back to targets the following year and there are always targets to see anyway! :)

The only problem with time is the amount of light pollution we increase each year for some silly reason!

I hope you get some clear night soon and when the Moon decreases so that you can give a proper go with your 18" on Virgo galaxies! I would be very interested in reading your findings, Alan!

57 minutes ago, Piero said:

I agree Paul, the sunset was very beautiful last evening and it's also getting warmer to observe! First night I wore normal clothes! 

My fingers are tightly crossed for the next weekend when I am in Italy! Hopefully a session on Jupiter and then Mars/ Saturn with the 200 and these new Delos eps..:)

It'll be great to get Mars and Saturn at a good elevation; hope you get clear skies and steady air!

Paul

Very nice short report Piero. It has rained here pretty well non stop for the last week. Like you I managed a short session on Sunday, but it was the bitterly cold wind and very unsteady atmosphere which eventually defeated me. Hope all goes well for your trip to Italy and you get super views of Mars.

40 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice short report Piero. It has rained here pretty well non stop for the last week. Like you I managed a short session on Sunday, but it was the bitterly cold wind and very unsteady atmosphere which eventually defeated me. Hope all goes well for your trip to Italy and you get super views of Mars.

Thank you very much! :) 

Let's hope this is going to be a nice weekend for all the UK and Ireland too so that we can all have some time to observe! 

Archived