NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RAY WARD

RAY WARD

HI, LIKE TO ASK,  WHAT IS ON THE LEFT OF VEGA,  LIKE A RECTANGULAR CLOUD WITH A STORM  BREWING INSIDE (7/4/16)LOOKING AT IT WITH SKYWATCHER 120 REFRACTOR,    I AM SURE ITS NOT A REFLECTION ALTHOUGH I`M OBSERVING THROUGH WINDOW? ME, NOT A LOT OF EXPERIENCE BUT ENJOYING IT. MANY THANKS.

How big was it? If it was quite small it might have been M57, which would have looked like a fuzzy circle with a slightly fainter centre. Not sure what the rectangle cloud could be. Was it a perfect rectangle (ie all angles 90*) or was it more like a parallelogram? How sharp were the edges? I would suspect that the window had something to do with it, or perhaps a tree in the way. It might be a reflection of a street light, which would explain the rectangle, then the 'storm' being the filament. There shouldn't be anything there, so it's almost certainly going to be something within earth's atmosphere, and therefore we need a little more info to be able to work out what it was.

Picture from Skysafari of Vega in the contellation of Lyra with adjacent stars to the left and right. Were you observing with just your eyes, or with binoculars or a telescope? A little hard to know what you were seeing without a little more details. 

image.jpeg

Hello Ray and welcome to SGL.

I guess the other question is, "are you sure it was Vega?".  In the early evening at the moment Vega is very low in the north and for many it is lost amongst the usual horizon obstructions (houses, trees, hills, children's play houses etc).  Where and when was the star you refer to as Vega?  

Paul

Archived