Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Image stabilised monoculars/binoculars

Ok quick background. I went out last night to recce a potential new dark site near a reservoir, its amazing. Not a light to be seen although there is sky glow from my town around fine miles S/E, I am digressing already.

Anyhow, took the 10x50's with me and aside the collimation being a little off, the view was shakey as usual. Tried finding walls, he car etc to lean up to so as to steady my view and although this improved things, still not good enough to get a decent view that was pleasing enough of M45.

I do like using bins but find myself getting increasingly frustrated with natural hand shake.

I have looked several times at image stabilised bins but the cost of the basic 8x25 is £250, go up to the better 10x30 aperture and add another 100 quid (£350).

I then came accross this: http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/viking-ais-monocular.html?gclid=CITg0Ir99ssCFVQ_GwodDPcBww £200 with a 30mm objective, not too bad for what I want it for. Its from the RSPB, they have a solid reputation as one would expect and also a solid returns policy, so that all bodes well.

When using the standard bins last night I ended up so frustrated I simply gave up, which was a shame as the skies were good inbetween the odd fluffs of cloud and that's why my thoughts switched bqack to image stabilisation. I do not want to start buying posh bin mounts or similar, I see this strictly as grab n view.

I just want to know has anyone got one or similar or does anyone have opinion on how useful this might be in real terms. I am aware the single objective light gathering is not as good as two, so I need more experienced bin users to tell me if this is useable or simply not going to cut it astro wise.

TIA

IS binoculars are a big improvement over non !S but at "the end of the night" you still have to hold them with the eventual neck or backache! I still prefer standard binoculars that are mounted, the slight hassle increase having to carry and set up the mount is more than repaid by the much better fixed views. Cheaper as well!.  Yes, RSPB have a good reputation, so have National Geographic and look at some of the optical stuff they promote.   :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Peter and I have considered a mount but my point is to simply rock up and start viewing, scouting around the sky and just taking it all in. I see this as short sessions where neck ache/stiff arm isnt going to be such a big issue. As i said it really is grab and go on the move with nil setup. I like bins, but guess my shake is worse than some of you guys otherwise i wouldn't be whinging about it so much, i just do not like the wobbly image >> :happy7:

• 2 weeks later...

Image stabilising bins are great had a pair for years the best way to view is laying flat, I own a pair of Canon 15x50 like everything we do it takes a bit of practice after a few times you will get used to hold your arms up is that position I think they are a good investment as they go on every holiday plus used for a quick look in the back garden when I can't be bothered to get my scope out ,I personally would not get 8x25 noir the 8x30 unless you're a bird watches or going to the races :-) the wider the objective lens the more light that enters the more you will see

a pair of ordinary binoculars  to hold should not be bigger than 10x50  hope this helps any question please ask   

Archived