Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Infinity 102

Hey Dave, thanks for the link on Doc Clay's! Looks interesting for my eyepieces. It may have to wait a little since I just bought a Tele Vue Sol-Searcher Sun finder. That process was very frustrating and time consuming during my last session. Are you or Mak familiar with that finder? I ordered from Agena so should get it after the holiday.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sol Searcher works very well. It is very light so just using double sided foam strip will work fine with it, no need to drill the tube.

If you look at the front of the rear disk, the you can see where the sun is being projected and can then more easily understand how to move the scope to get it centred. Viewing from the rear can be frustrating as you cannot see where the sun is until it is within the small projection screen.

I tend to use the shadow method to get close (ie get the scopes shadow on the ground as small and round as possible), then use the sol finder to get it bang on. Probably even worth having the sun in view when fixing the finder so you know it is aligned, can't remember but I don't think it has adjustment?

Stu

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

The Sol Searcher works very well. It is very light so just using double sided foam strip will work fine with it, no need to drill the tube.

If you look at the front of the rear disk, the you can see where the sun is being projected and can then more easily understand how to move the scope to get it centred. Viewing from the rear can be frustrating as you cannot see where the sun is until it is within the small projection screen.

I tend to use the shadow method to get close (ie get the scopes shadow on the ground as small and round as possible), then use the sol finder to get it bang on. Probably even worth having the sun in view when fixing the finder so you know it is aligned, can't remember but I don't think it has adjustment?

Stu

Thanks Stu, will try your methods. It has alignment adjustments via hex screws, tools included. It does not seem overly large so I may mount it next to my Quickfinder, I believe I even have some double sided tape left over from the Quickfinder! The advantage of velcro is that I can remove it but I'm not sure I am really concerned about that, will probably look good and stay in alignment better with the double sided tape, I would imagine.

18 minutes ago, Ray of LIght said:

Thanks Stu, will try your methods. It has alignment adjustments via hex screws, tools included. It does not seem overly large so I may mount it next to my Quickfinder, I believe I even have some double sided tape left over from the Quickfinder! The advantage of velcro is that I can remove it but I'm not sure I am really concerned about that, will probably look good and stay in alignment better with the double sided tape, I would imagine.

Yes, I suspect that double sided foam will be more accurate than Velcro. Great that it has alignment adjustment though, I had forgotten that.

6 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Very true! I wonder if it comes with the give-away green-lettering on it.

Dave

Hmm, not sure. The Helio-Pads look like they are for huge scopes, I have a 102. Probably missed something.

My dedicated solar-scope is an ST80. 80mm is less than 102mm - last time I checked. Unless some politician has been teaching math again.....

Anywho, they come with a little elastic ponytail-tie sort of thing on them to hold them on your scope. These are adjustable upwards to a maximum aperture. I think it's up to 10" and then they come with a larger size fastener.

Dave

2 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

My dedicated solar-scope is an ST80. 80mm is less than 102mm - last time I checked. Unless some politician has been teaching math again.....

Anywho, they come with a little elastic ponytail-tie sort of thing on them to hold them on your scope. These are adjustable upwards to a maximum aperture. I think it's up to 10" and then they come with a larger size fastener.

Dave

That was the problem: 10 inches was the maximum. The tie is actually a kind of bungee cord. Interesting; I am going to mount my Sol-Searcher with either double sided tape, ala Quickfinder. or velcro. Leaning toward the double sided tape.

I waas thinking of using the term 'bungee-cord' myself, but I wasn't sure if that would translate well in the UK. Nothing like using a book on diplomacy in one hand, and another on American-English Translations in the other.....:D

Your 102mm is about the perfect size telescope for solar-observations using a white-light filter. I really wouldn't want to go larger for such. Your incoming TV works on the same principles as mine, so you should be amazed at how easy finding that star becomes. Just be very careful to avaoid any finder--scopes you have unless it's filtered as well. I just remove mine altogether. I like one-screw quick-releases!

Have fun -

Dave

9 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I waas thinking of using the term 'bungee-cord' myself, but I wasn't sure if that would translate well in the UK. Nothing like using a book on diplomacy in one hand, and another on American-English Translations in the other.....:D

Your 102mm is about the perfect size telescope for solar-observations using a white-light filter. I really wouldn't want to go larger for such. Your incoming TV works on the same principles as mine, so you should be amazed at how easy finding that star becomes. Just be very careful to avaoid any finder--scopes you have unless it's filtered as well. I just remove mine altogether. I like one-screw quick-releases!

Have fun -

Dave

I have my Quickfinder covered with solar filter film and secured, so I think everything is good to go. The only other thing I would  consider for my solar adventures would be the Baader Solar Continuum filter. Been doing some research on that one.

The Solar Continuum filter works to an extent in helping to show surface-granulation and a bit more detail in any sunspots. But the bright, green color takes some getting used to! I can only stand it for a little while before I pull it off.

Yikes!

Dave

6 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

The Solar Continuum filter works to an extent in helping to show surface-granulation and a bit more detail in any sunspots. But the bright, green color takes some getting used to! I can only stand it for a little while before I pull it off.

Yikes!

Dave

Yes, it's definitely something that takes getting used to, but I no longer notice the colour when I'm observing. If someone looks through the scope and says 'why is the sun green?' I'm quite likely to think 'is it?' before remembering!

Archived