Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Infinity 102

25 minutes ago, Ray of LIght said:

So Mak, Dave and Stu, I did some solar observing this morning. Got to test some stuff. Didn't do too bad for my first outing I guess. I went out, as Stu advised, about 9:00 AM eastern, so the Sun was in a good position even though it is a very bright and warm day. Not a cloud. Anyway, I used the TV 25 as a finder and dropped in the 18mm X-Cel once I had my target in the eyepiece. It was odd trying to locate such a bright object against a black background. After I got over the shock of seeing the Sun like that I switched to the 9mm X-Cel. Even though the Sun was quiet, it was an eerie, beautiful and hypnotic sight. The X-Cels performed great. I tried my HPS 2.5 Barlow with the TV 25mm and was underwhelmed, maybe was me. I put my Baader UHC in the 9mm X-Cel and it did seem to help. The Sun also turned blue! It was sharp and beautiful nevertheless. I thought my WO helical  focusing diagonal performed perfectly. I was able to make fine adjustments that made the Sun's limb look very sharp indeed. Solar filter worked great, as far as I could tell. I can still see, lol! It was a good experience that I'm sure will get better as the Sun gets more active. I probably made some errors so feel free to impart pointers. 

That sounds great Ray. I think there's a major sunspot cycle every 11 years or something. I don't know what year the last one was, I think the Royal Astronomical Society discovered it ages ago and people have been trying to see how it affects weather patterns on Earth ever since.

X-Cel 2x Barlow.jpg

Oh yeah, I added to my Barlow collection. It must be the sunspots. lol

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

That sounds great Ray. I think there's a major sunspot cycle every 11 years or something. I don't know what year the last one was, I think the Royal Astronomical Society discovered it ages ago and people have been trying to see how it affects weather patterns on Earth ever since.

X-Cel 2x Barlow.jpg

Oh yeah, I added to my Barlow collection. It must be the sunspots. lol

Have you tried the X-Cel Barlow yet? Do you think I did ok with my testing? It was different than anything I have done so far. Will have to try the #47 when it arrives.

We are definitely approaching solar minimum, not there yet but on the down slope in terms of activity. The sun has been very quiet just lately but I'm sure there will be activity soon, even if the general trend is downwards.

Ray, sounds like you did fine, everything safe and working well. Once you get some activity on the surface you will have something to focus on (other than the limb) and will be better able to tell what works best.

I've always considered a UHC filter to be a narrowband, it restricts the frequencies quite heavily vs other more general light pollution filters. They do vary of course, the Lumicon being one of the tighter ones.

27 minutes ago, Ray of LIght said:

Have you tried the X-Cel Barlow yet? Do you think I did ok with my testing? It was different than anything I have done so far. Will have to try the #47 when it arrives.

I've tried the X-Cel Barlow in daylight, it seems very capable. It's apochromatic and pretty well made. It compares well with the Omegon/Barsta and TV 2x. It also inserts/extracts well from a diagonal with a compression ring. The X-Cel's have an unobtrusive undercut that seem to actually do the job without causing problems. The Omegon/Barsta shorty has no undercut, which is better in some situations, but I'm not sure about it hanging out of the Bazooka with anything heavy connected to it. So the X-Cel's undercut will be safer than the Omegon/Barsta.  The X-Cel is sturdy, squat, and being aluminium, comparatively light. Plus, I've really warmed to the rubber treads, which make manipulating and putting it into the focuser at odd angles in the dark easier for someone who can effectively only use their left hand. It will be useful in diagonals with the Big Cat as well as the TV x2 isn't a shorty and may prove problematical used in conjunction with some larger and heavier eyepieces. So, I did really need a sturdy shorty 2x, to compliment the TS Optics/GSO 2.5 shorty. I'd been considering several, but after being pretty impressed with the X-Cels for the price, I finally decided to pull the trigger.

I did enjoy your solar first light report Ray, it was interesting reading. I'm curios as to why you were underwhelmed by the HPS 2.5 Barlow with the TV 25mm combination though. The Baader UHC-S does tend to make everything look blue, it can look pretty cool on objects like the Orion Nebula though lol.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I've always considered a UHC filter to be a narrowband, it restricts the frequencies quite heavily vs other more general light pollution filters. They do vary of course, the Lumicon being one of the tighter ones.

I wouldn't have considered the Baader UHC-S to be narrowband.

11 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I wouldn't have considered the Baader UHC-S to be narrowband.

I thought we were talking about a UHC filter which is narrowband, unlike the -S

Interestingly, this review classes it as a narrowband filter. I don't believe there is a strict definition for it anyway.

http://www.astronomy.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/8/c/7/0805_nebula_filters.pdf

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I thought we were talking about a UHC filter which is narrowband, unlike the -S

Interestingly, this review classes it as a narrowband filter. I don't believe there is a strict definition for it anyway.

http://www.astronomy.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/8/c/7/0805_nebula_filters.pdf

I don't think Baader themselves view the UHC-S as particularly narrowband.

buhcs1.jpg

Baader_filter_overview.pdf

Mak, this is a pointless conversation! I referred to narrowband as Ray had incorrectly mentioned a UHC (narrowband) filter rather than the UHC-S which is somewhere in between a broadband and narrowband filter.

40 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I've tried the X-Cel Barlow in daylight, it seems very capable. It's apochromatic and pretty well made. It compares well with the Omegon/Barsta and TV 2x. It also inserts/extracts well from a diagonal with a compression ring. The X-Cel's have an unobtrusive undercut that seem to actually do the job without causing problems. The Omegon/Barsta shorty has no undercut, which is better in some situations, but I'm not sure about it hanging out of the Bazooka with anything heavy connected to it. So the X-Cel's undercut will be safer than the Omegon/Barsta.  The X-Cel is sturdy, squat, and being aluminium, comparatively light. Plus, I've really warmed to the rubber treads, which make manipulating and putting it into the focuser at odd angles in the dark easier for someone who can effectively only use their left hand. It will be useful in diagonals with the Big Cat as well as the TV x2 isn't a shorty and may prove problematical used in conjunction with some larger and heavier eyepieces. So, I did really need a sturdy shorty 2x, to compliment the TS Optics/GSO 2.5 shorty. I'd been considering several, but after being pretty impressed with the X-Cels for the price, I finally decided to pull the trigger.

I did enjoy your solar first light report Ray, it was interesting reading. I'm curios as to why you were underwhelmed by the HPS 2.5 Barlow with the TV 25mm combination though. The Baader UHC-S does tend to make everything look blue, it can look pretty cool on objects like the Orion Nebula though lol.

First of all thanks Mak! I didn't get a chance to test the TV 3x so I tried the HPS snd I just had a problem getting it to focus. Which is strange because that WO diagonal brought everything to a fine focus! So, I may have to look at the X-Cel 2x Barlow since I am so happy with their eyepiece line. It is a 2x, right?

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Mak, this is a pointless conversation! I referred to narrowband as Ray had incorrectly mentioned a UHC (narrowband) filter rather than the UHC-S which is somewhere in between a broadband and narrowband filter.

It's pointless if you didn't realise Ray was referring to his UHC-S. Which he was.

4 minutes ago, Ray of LIght said:

First of all thanks Mak! I didn't get a chance to test the TV 3x so I tried the HPS snd I just had a problem getting it to focus. Which is strange because that WO diagonal brought everything to a fine focus! So, I may have to look at the X-Cel 2x Barlow since I am so happy with their eyepiece line. It is a 2x, right?

I'm not sure what the focusing problem was, unless it was conditions like thermal heat rising. I think there are 2x and 3x X-Cel Barlows, mine's the 2x.

24 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

It's pointless if you didn't realise Ray was referring to his UHC-S. Which he was.

It always helps if one refers to the actual filter being used rather than a totally different one otherwise it is naturally going to confuse matters.

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

It always helps if one refers to the actual filter being used rather than a totally different one otherwise it is naturally going to confuse matters.

That's probably true but: ' I put my Baader UHC in the 9mm X-Cel and it did seem to help. ' (sic). Which does seem to narrow down which Baader UHC filter Ray was referring to. Besides, I'm pretty sure Ray only has one UHC filter and that's the UHC-S. I also may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Baader only make one UHC filter anyway. lol

Well my apologies for two things. One is forgetting that Baader do not make a UHC filter and two for not reading the whole thread to check which filters Ray has.

Enjoy your evening.

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well my apologies for two things. One is forgetting that Baader do not make a UHC filter and two for not reading the whole thread to check which filters Ray has.

Enjoy your evening.

Well, technically, Baader do make a UHC filter, it's just that most people consider its bandwidth curve is more broadband than narrowband, which is why I recommended it to Ray in the first place, as he is using a 102mm scope and I'd had some success with the UHC-S with my own 102mm scope.

4 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I think the link and PNG screenshot kinda defined this, if you take into consideration the conversation has been about solar viewing.

Sorry, no it doesn't. All it does is link to a product which I've been discussing previously with Ray and have referred to a few times; it adds nothing new to the conversation. It's an expensive filter so I believe using filters which he already has is much more sensible than buying this at the moment.

Just now, Stu said:

Sorry, no it doesn't. All it does is link to a product which I've been discussing previously with Ray and have referred to a few times; it adds nothing new to the conversation. It's an expensive filter so I believe using filters which he already has is much more sensible than buying this at the moment.

I just noticed it and thought it was apposite. Not sure what your point is exactly Stu, unless you've been brushing up a bit by reading the Baader PDF. lol

3 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

Well, technically, Baader do make a UHC filter, it's just that most people consider its bandwidth curve is more broadband than narrowband, which is why I recommended it to Ray in the first place, as he is using a 102mm scope and I'd had some success with the UHC-S with my own 102mm scope.

No, Baader make a UHC-S which is significantly different to a genuine UHC narrowband filter, our discussions have already covered that point.

I successfully use both Lumicon UHC and OIII filters in a 4" refractor. These have tight band passes, but if used correctly give excellent, contrasty views of objects such as the Veil and North America nebula and a host of others. The UHC-S is much less useful for solar as the band pass is wider than a UHC or the solar continuum filter.

There is a view though that Ray should get some observing time under his belt before adding further purchases to his kit.

11 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I just noticed it and thought it was apposite. Not sure what your point is exactly Stu, unless you've been brushing up a bit by reading the Baader PDF. lol

I shall choose to read that in a manner which I don't believe it was intended.

I have been observing the sun for quite a number of years, and have used both 1.25" and 2" Baader Continuum filters, starting with a Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge. I now use a Baader Zeiss 2" Herschel Wedge, again with the SC filter. I'm not sure why I would need to refresh myself with information I have known for years? Perhaps you might like to educate yourself a little in this area, it is quite interesting.

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

No, Baader make a UHC-S which is significantly different to a genuine UHC narrowband filter, our discussions have already covered that point.

I successfully use both Lumicon UHC and OIII filters in a 4" refractor. These have tight band passes, but if used correctly give excellent, contrasty views of objects such as the Veil and North America nebula and a host of others. The UHC-S is much less useful for solar as the band pass is wider than a UHC or the solar continuum filter.

There is a view though that Ray should get some observing time under his belt before adding further purchases to his kit.

I wasn't recommending that Ray bought the Baader Solar filter, especially as I've never used it. At the end of the day, Baader make an ultra high contrast filter which just happens to be more broadband than narrowband, otherwise they would probably have called it something else. Even in Baader's own advertising they suggest it would be suitable for smaller aperture telescopes, although they don't specify any specific type.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I shall choose to read that in a manner which I don't believe it was intended.

I have been observing the sun for quite a number of years, and have used both 1.25" and 2" Baader Continuum filters, starting with a Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge. I now use a Baader Zeiss 2" Herschel Wedge, again with the SC filter. I'm not sure why I would need to refresh myself with information I have known for years? Perhaps you might like to educate yourself a little in this area, it is quite interesting.

I just thought you'd been reading the Baader PDF. Between you and me, I think they're trying to sell people Baader products. Although, you'd expect that. lol

20 hours ago, Ray of LIght said:

Just a thought: my Baader UHC is a broadband filter which I bought for DSOs etc, so I think I will order the #47 since the GSO is very economical and buying another UHC filter would not be, to say the least. Can not go very wrong buying a color filter, IMO. Could be wrong here but it does make sense, besides I'm going broke ?!

This is all my fault. But I did say that my Baader UHC filter was a broadband filter as stated above. My mistake, through ignorance, was not calling it by its name which is a UHC-S. I apoligize to all.

Archived