Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Infinity 102

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

The problem is that the non M28.5x0.6 filters fit some eyepieces but not others, there's no consistency. They usually thread on a bit then appear to stick. This could potentially damage the threads on either the filter or the eyepiece (some of my eyepieces cost around £300/$440 ) and in the dark, with limited manual dexterity, and a potentially cold environment this could be problematical. Furthermore, a loose or ill fitting filter could potentially fall of an eyepiece or Barlow dropping into the OTA itself potentially hitting the primary or secondary.

filterboxes1.jpg

The box on the extreme left (above) contains four Celestron kit filters. The Blue 80A and No12 Deep Yellow thread into both eyepieces, but the No21 Orange and the No56 Light Green only thread into the Luminos and some other assorted eyepieces. The 80A was from the AstroMaster Kit and both filters from that kit fit virtually everything. The other two cases contain the TS Optics filters (Light Red, Light Yellow, Yellow Green and Light Blue). The case on the extreme right contains a TS Optics 0.6 ND filter. The filters in the two cases on the right are all TS Optics and fit every eyepiece I've tried them in, including TeleVue.

Comparison luminosxcel.jpg

In a nutshell; The TS Optics filters fit both of these eyepieces and others perfectly, but the only filters I can use on both eyepieces in the filter case on the left are the No 80A and No12 . The other two filters (Light Green, Orange) only properly fit the Luminos and a few others. I plan to replace them with TS Optics filters.

Sounds like a plan Mak! I think I need to try all my filters on my eyepieces to make sure they will thread. So far so good but I haven't tried them all. I wonder if the eyepiece holder that comes with the polarization set could be used with other filters? That would be a convenience, I think. The idea just occurred to me; I can be a little slow sometimes , ? lol!

16 minutes ago, Ray of LIght said:

Sounds like a plan Mak! I think I need to try all my filters on my eyepieces to make sure they will thread. So far so good but I haven't tried them all. I wonder if the eyepiece holder that comes with the polarization set could be used with other filters? That would be a convenience, I think. The idea just occurred to me; I can be a little slow sometimes , ? lol!

You can see why I'm a bit OCD about filter threads in filters, eyepieces and diagonals now lol. It didn't dawn on me until recently that my Celestron T-adaptor could be used for any of my filters. Admittedly it is usually a Barlow though. It will work well in a diagonal, but maybe not so well in a Newtonian because of back-focusing issues. I'm going to suss this filter incompatibility out one day. Maybe.

23 minutes ago, Ray of LIght said:

You may know this trick already but:

You can screw one of the polarizing-filters into the nose of your diagonal, and the other into the eyepiece you're using. Then to vary the light-throughput from 1% to 40% - just twist the eyepiece around in the diagonal.

Have fun!

Dave

4 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

You can see why I'm a bit OCD about filter threads in filters, eyepieces and diagonals now lol. It didn't dawn on me until recently that my Celestron T-adaptor could be used for any of my filters. Admittedly it is usually a Barlow though. It will work well in a diagonal, but maybe not so well in a Newtonian because of back-focusing issues. I'm going to suss this filter incompatibility out one day. Maybe.

Do you think the BST eyepiece holder will work with other filters? I guess I will have to try them out. 

1 hour ago, Ray of LIght said:

Do you think the BST eyepiece holder will work with other filters? I guess I will have to try them out. 

My Omegon 2x apochromatic Barlow is actually made by Barsta. TS Optics also do a rebadged version, cheaper I think lol. I've just tested a couple of my TS Optics filters in its filter thread and they are compatible. So it's very possible your BST holder will be compatible with your filters. I think it was mainly older filters and older eyepiece designs that had incompatible threads. Well, those and virtually everything Lumicon!

Omegon Barsta.jpg

If you're beyond help then I am dead, lol! I will try my filters out on the Barsta eyepiece holder and report back. Would make it much easier to change eyepieces without having to keep screwing filters on to eyepieces. As long as you are using the same filter for awhile. Back in a bit.

Speaking of filters, I bought a solar filter sheet from Amazon that enables you to DIY a solar filter. It got great reviews for it's usefullness and safety. I am not the handiest guy in the world but I think even I can make something that would slip over the dew shield on my 102. The shield is 5 inches in diameter and the solar filter/sheet is 6x6 square. Should work. I thought it would be interesting to observe sun spots and whatever else is able to be observed with such a filter. I'm not sure what magnification would be right for this application but I will do some research. Any thoughts Mak?

21 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

You may know this trick already but:

You can screw one of the polarizing-filters into the nose of your diagonal, and the other into the eyepiece you're using. Then to vary the light-throughput from 1% to 40% - just twist the eyepiece around in the diagonal.

Have fun!

Dave

Hey Dave, the nose of my diagonal already has my neodymium and fringe killer on there. That's why I figured the eyepiece holder that comes with the polarization filters would be a convenience/handy feature. I figure that I will probably only use a high transmission rate in conjunction with the Baader Neodymium. I really want to try leaving the Baader filters where they are unless I am not happy with the views I am getting. Will see I guess!

Got the polarization set, pretty nice. Eyepieces don't really fit totally into the holder but will work ok I think. I doubt I wil use it with the TV 3x, it will be too tall I think. I will send a picture later. Talk in a bit.

1 hour ago, Ray of LIght said:

Got the polarization set, pretty nice. Eyepieces don't really fit totally into the holder but will work ok I think. I doubt I wil use it with the TV 3x, it will be too tall I think. I will send a picture later. Talk in a bit.

What do you mean by the eyepieces don't really fit into the holder Ray?

2 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

What do you mean by the eyepieces don't really fit into the holder Ray?

The nose of the eyepiece sticks out a little. I will send you a pucture with an eyepiece in it. I think it will be okay.

14 minutes ago, Ray of LIght said:

The nose of the eyepiece sticks out a little. I will send you a pucture with an eyepiece in it. I think it will be okay.

If the draw tube isn't completely covered by the filter holder it shouldn't matter. TeleVue don't usually put undercuts on their Barlows as they don't totally fit into diagonals.

1 hour ago, Mak the Night said:

Yeah, it should be fine.

lum1.jpg

When I used to put the Luminos in a diagonal with a Barlow element threaded into it the undercut would sit proud of the set screw.

lum2.jpg

Definitely no undercut hang ups like this!

Indeed! Mine should be fine. What do you think? Not bad, right?

Been thinking about one more eyepiece. The 5mm X-Cel would give me 120x un-barlowed. I have been trying to figure out how to get a decent magnification using a short FL eyepiece and the 5mm makes sense and would be parfocal, I believe, with my 9mm and 18mm X-Cel's. Just a thought, a big thought! Any thoughts Mak?

Archived