Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Infinity 102

16 minutes ago, Ray1103 said:

If they are good enough for you and Terence Dickenson they are good enough for me! I watched a uTube video which made it look huge but I think that monster mount I got should handle it fine. Anyway, the TV Plossls are not heavy, they are just built really well. Even my 25mm will give me 72x, which would be great for DSO's, I believe. Getting excited about the idea. I think I will need something that will give me 150x though, with good eye relief. The TV 11mm with the 3x would give me 162+ but with my glasses the eye relief would not be there. Any ideas? I could be completely wrong. 

This is the downside to a 600mm f/l. You are going to have to get quality amplifiers to get a comfortable 150x - ish magnification. There is the 5x Powermate although I only have the 2.5x version. They aren't cheap, but mine basically lived in the diagonal of my Mak for lunar/planetary.

TVPowermate2point5xfx.JPG

I would regularly use it with my T5 Nagler for 203x. The TV 11mm Plossl has an eye relief of only 8mm, although the 3x Barlow should improve that. I use my 11mm quite often on my 90mm Mak for 91x which can be doubled with a Barlow if conditions allowed. It would be rare though and the maximum I push it to is 166.6x, and that's not often. I should think 150-160x should be easily achievable on a 102mm aperture though. Below 4" you start to notice the lack of aperture. I can see the 11mm Plossl not being easy when wearing glasses. It's a pity TV don't still do a 13mm Plossl. Something like a Bresser 60 Eyepiece 14 mm 5 Elements 1.25" combined with the TV 3x may work although it will only give you around 128x.

11 2.jpg

I've rolled the eye cup down on the 11mm to give a better view of the eye lens. I tend to use it like this anyway.

11 1.jpg

You can see the eye lens compared to the Big 25. I find the 11mm TV Plossl as easy to use as any 12mm or 13mm Celestron Plossl. I don't wear glasses though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think the 3x TV Barlow and 11mm TV Plossl would work for me? If I could keep it all TeleVue i would love too. I will start with the 15mm though, of course. Thanks for all your time Mak! I consider you a true friend ✨

I think the 3x Barlow should be top of your wish list to be honest, it's the only real way to get a decent undriven view with a Plossl. There's only about a 9mm field stop on the 11mm TV. I'd definitely try the 15mm first though, the TV 15mm only has 2mm eye relief more than the 11mm anyway. You could try one of the Astro Hutech ortho's if you can find some your side of the pond.

AH 18mm Ortho.jpg

This is the 18mm but they do a 12.5mm as well. They're as good as the TV's, with slightly better eye relief. Smaller FOV though (42°). The AH's are Abbe orthoscopics as well, so four element, unlike the Masuyama clones. They Barlow well.

Astro Hutech

I don't mind taking photo's of my EP's, with the weather at the moment it's the only time they come out of the box lol.

Ha! I spent a beautiful Monday in the hospital with catheters going into my Aorta. Hopefully this WILL bode well for the rest of the week! Of course the weather will be crap but I'm used to that ?. Long Island sounds like Great Britain. I keep forgetting to ask where you are. Do you know about Long Island at all?

I remember them checking my heart for a long time before they came to the conclusion it was fine. At one stage I was injected with a radioactive fluid and passed through a huge machine to be scanned, I may have superpowers now, although I can't change the weather lol. I live on the Staffordshire/Worcestershire border at the edge of the greenbelt in the English Midlands. I don't know much about Long Island although I know where it is. You're probably at a similar latitude to the UK. NY seems to get colder winters than Britain but you seem to deal with the snow better. It's only got to snow for five minutes here and the whole country comes to standstill like we've never seen snow before lol. I can normally get fairly dark skies and light pollution isn't a huge problem for me. The Milky Way is usually very easily visible, especially in autumn/winter. The past couple of years there seems to less transparency and I think this must be down to a high water vapour content in the atmosphere. Whether this is a product of the shifting Jetstream or just a rainy past couple of years I don't know. Monday night really did look promising and I was looking forward to planning some sessions viewing a setting Jupiter and Moon. Or possibly trying to find some of the easier MO's with my 90mm Mak. It had better change for when I get the Big Cat in a few days. Catching the twilight setting Venus might not be so easy this year as through most of June & July it is at Transit at around 13:00 - 14:00 BST and so too near the Sun. Venus, like Jupiter can often look better at twilight although the altitude is not high. I actually saw detail in the clouds of Venus one evening last year, just slight colour differences, but they were there. I also got some fantastic views of Jupiter the same evening with some superb detail. This was with my 130mm Explorer though, in combination with the TV x3 Barlow, 19mm Panoptic and 17mm and 20mm Plossls mainly. I think that was the same night I tried for M57 as it was near the zenith in the Summer Triangle. It was then that I realised that with my disability I really needed an RACI. I have made an awful lot of progress since then though and gained much more range, manipulation and dexterity in my right arm and leg. I also came to the conclusion that a GOTO was the way to go. lol

Sounds like a CT Scan (CAT scan). Had a couple of those puppies. I think I know where you live approx. I live kind of where the two lobster claws meet, place called Manorville. Deer, turkeys, farms etc, believe it or not. When is the big CAT landing? You get it from FLO? You have to send me pictures! Still trying to get used to these new glasses so will check in in the AM ✨

For orthoscopics on this side of the pond, Ray, your best bet for excellent quality and down-to-Earth prices is University Optics, or UO as we call them:

http://www.universityoptics.com/eyepieces.html

UO has been selling great astro-goodies for longer than I've been riding my Triceratops. I just got a 2 - 2" 70° SWA's from them - the 32mm & 38mm. Not that these are good for you, my point is that UO has the best oddball goods for us astro-folks - without hype, fanfare, and high prices. I also got a 16mm 80° 1.25" EP from them - very nice quality!

Awaiting the arrival of my new 10:1 Crayford - with the latest adapter from Agena, which I'm the beta-tester of - and giving my AR5 some TLC in anticipation of the blessed event..... :D

'Ta,

Dave

8 hours ago, Ray1103 said:

Sounds like a CT Scan (CAT scan). Had a couple of those puppies. I think I know where you live approx. I live kind of where the two lobster claws meet, place called Manorville. Deer, turkeys, farms etc, believe it or not. When is the big CAT landing? You get it from FLO? You have to send me pictures! Still trying to get used to these new glasses so will check in in the AM ✨

I think it was a CAT scan, I remember hearing the doctors arguing between themselves, with one of them claiming I was too young to have had multiple strokes, and one of them wanted to put a camera into my heart or something. Fortunately he was dissuaded from this. It only took me a couple of weeks to learn to speak again though which amazed my speech therapists. I still have difficulties occasionally with some consonant clusters and voiced alveolar fricatives. I deliberately read out aloud for an hour every day I was in hospital to improve my speech. Mainly Shakespeare and Jane Austin. I studied English and Drama at university so I knew they'd both be a challenge. Especially Austin's odd attitude to punctuation, which definitely makes breathing properly while reading her aloud a necessity lol. The Big Cat should make an appearance the weekend. It will be a steep learning curve, but I like a challenge. I was originally going to get the 6" but I thought if I buy that and find it easy to handle I'll wish I'd got the 8". As I always wanted a C8 I decided on the NexStar equivalent. Then I saw the 9.25", and I reasoned that if I could handle the 8" I'd wish I'd got the 9.25". I initially thought of a 127mm Mak, but I thought if I buy that and I can handle it I'll wish I'd got the 150mm ... and so it goes. lol

OMG Mak! Very happy for you with your recovery, and the new telescope! Thank you Dave for the info on the UO orthos. I saw a 9mm eye relief mentioned, but nothing as far as the more expensive ($95) eyepieces. There are some for $59, not sure how good they are. A 12mm with the TV 3x barlow would give me 150x I believe. But I need the eye relief. My Meade 12mm HD has a 16mm eye relief, but it is a big eyepiece. Hopefully I will be able to get some of this sorted out before I spend any more money on stuff that will go into my ever growing "spares" case! The TV Barlow is a sure bet but I'm not sure about the rest yet. You guys are the best and I am pretty sure that your experience has, and will continue, to benefit me. I need a light eyepiece to Barlow at the correct FL to give me approx 150x. I am sure that should be doable. In the meantime, if my arm gets a little stronger ( be a couple more days), and the weather cooperates, I have plenty to test for now! Talk in a bit ✨

How heavy is the Meade 12mm Ray? I doubt it would be unmanageable on top of the TV 3x. In the diagonal the Barlow plus EP are usually inbetween vertical to 90° from vertical. For Plane of the Ecliptic observing it should be around 45° or less so the weight would mainly be centred downwards I should think. I could easily put the 16mm Nagler on top of the Powermate in my 102mm Mak.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgoThis is a picture of the Meade12mm in my new GSO diagonal. The stated weight is 6.6 ounces. If we insert the TV 3x into the mix do you think it would be ok? I see your point: I wouldn't need another eyepiece in that FL range.

The TV 3x is about 180 grammes, which is around 6.6 oz I think. So it would double the weight. Considering a 10mm Delos is about 400 g on its own, your set up should be able to cope with 360 grammes (13 oz?) pretty easily. You'll notice the weight but it won't be unmanageable.

So the diagonal is not factored in? I assume not Mak?

1 hour ago, Mak the Night said:

The TV 3x is about 180 grammes, which is around 6.6 oz I think. So it would double the weight. Considering a 10mm Delos is about 400 g on its own, your set up should be able to cope with 360 grammes (13 oz?) pretty easily. You'll notice the weight but it won't be unmanageable.

I did that backwards, lol! Anyway, that rig is gonna have a lot of height but I bet I will get some beautiful views what with the Baader filters and the TV Barlow and the Meade LER HD! Maybe ask wife for Barlow for Father's Day. Not a bad idea. At another doctor right now, primary care doctor, getting tired of all this as I am sure you are too. Talk in a bit.

Yes, it adds to the height. It's not as tall as you expect it to be though. The diagonal is fairly light in comparison and I don't think it will be a significant addition. I'd be wary of the diagonal turning on its axis though and the whole unit rotating. As being taller the combined weight can have a 'lever' effect. If the diagonal is secure in the focuser you should be OK. I've not had any problems with my T5 and Powermate.

I get you. I just wish my telescope had two diagonal retaining screws instead of one. Don't know why they would do that but that's the way it is. You know of any way to strengthen that one area where the diagonal joins the OTA (or whatever that extenstion is that joins the OTA which DOES have two retaining screws)? The picture shows one screw on the extension but there is one on  the other side also. It is the 1.25 where the diagonal enters that only has one screw. Maybe it will be strong enough but I am a little paranoid!

6 hours ago, Ray1103 said:

I get you. I just wish my telescope had two diagonal retaining screws instead of one. Don't know why they would do that but that's the way it is. You know of any way to strengthen that one area where the diagonal joins the OTA (or whatever that extenstion is that joins the OTA which DOES have two retaining screws)? The picture shows one screw on the extension but there is one on  the other side also. It is the 1.25 where the diagonal enters that only has one screw. Maybe it will be strong enough but I am a little paranoid!

Most SCT's/Mak's have two retaining screws at 120° in the visual back, not unlike this Celestron diagonal:

angle1.jpg

My 90mm Omegon only has one though, with a retention ring, so I have to take that into consideration. It handles a 19mm Panoptic though. I don't know whether there is an adaptor available for your focuser. It looks like you have a 2" adaptor with a 1.25" removable adaptor inside it. I think it should take the weight of the combined Meade 12mm/Barlow but make sure the set screw stays tight. I'd check the 2" adaptor, because you can put a 2" diagonal into it by the looks of it. Everything 2" is expensive though! lol

2inch.jpg

4 hours ago, Ray1103 said:

Just a thought; Agena Astro has a Bresser 15mm 70 degree eyepiece (in the US) that weighs 3.2 oz. No stated eye relief, just says LER. I can not find the 14mm version.

I've not used any Bresser eyepieces that I know of, but I'd buy the TV 3x Barlow first before spending money on unknown quantities. You can't go wrong with a TeleVue 3x Barlow, that's for sure.

I agree. I will check out 2" diagonals but, like you said, they will be expensve. The expenditure might be worth it but I will try the set up I have first. The 3x TV Barlow comes first. Thanks Mak, talk in a bit ✨

This is a Baader reducer whats a ma call it with two set screws, Do you think this might fit/be stronger? I'm not even sure it is the right part but perhaps I am on the right track. It looks pretty sturdy and has the  two set screws and a brass retention ring?

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, Ray1103 said:

This is a Baader reducer whats a ma call it with two set screws, Do you think this might fit/be stronger? I'm not even sure it is the right part but perhaps I am on the right track. It looks pretty sturdy and has the  two set screws and a brass retention ring?

image.jpg

That does look like a 1.25" adaptor. Remember, if that is a 1.25" adaptor in your Meade, it's still only being held in place with one set screw. It should deal with a 3x Barlow plus eyepiece.

Archived