NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade Infinity 102

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ray1103 said:

This adapter is 52 US. Is this what I am looking for? I am not sure. I know that I can insert my 1.25 diagonal and it has two set screws but that is all I know. What do you think?

It looks like it would fit your scope, but it doesn't mean it will necessarily be better or safer than what you've already got. In my experience with two set screws, one of them never seems to fully tighten anyway. I've no doubt it's safer than one set screw but there would have to be an awful lot of weight to pull something straight out of an adaptor. I'd see how the 3x Barlow combined with the Meade 12mm seems first.

If what you're looking for is something to hold a 1.25" component - like a 1.25" diagonal - in a 2" visual-back, may I suggest one that costs less and works beautifully?

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_adp4.htm

It's the Antares Twist-Lock in the lowest picture in the link. I have one of these and it's works great. No set-screws to tighten - you just twist it to engage the compression-band.

Dave

Oh yeah - I have no concern with it holding heavy EP's and other gear upside-down from. It seems most folks over there go after the Baader click-lock one - which costs twice as much - just because it's a 'Baader.' But the Antares is just as capable.

Dave

Antares stuff looks and feels well made in my experience. Baader products seem slightly more expensive Stateside than here, even factoring in the value added tax we have. I'm pretty sure Morpheus eyepieces worked out more expensive than what I'd expect to pay here on the US sites I looked at. Baader 0.9 ND filters were more expensive than the Lumicon equivalent on one site. I don't even want to think about what I paid for a Lumicon OIII filter lol.

Yes, looks interesting for sure. So I could replace the stock part with the Antares 2 to 1.25"? I would feel better about all that height and weight with something stronger to support it all. I guess I can still thread my filters on my diagonal since they are 1.25 and not 2 inch. It would be worth it for 25 bucks for the peace of mind. What do you think?

I have to admit I kind of like Baader stuff myself. The two set screws are kind of nice too (even tnough one might not engage!). Pretty sure I  could make it work. Thanks guys, your the best! I will take another look at the Baader. I just have my doubts about the stock unit on my Meade not dumping all my expensive stuff in my driveway! 

In my experience with paired set screws, both will engage, but only one of them seems to tighten as fully as the first screw tightened. It's probably all that's needed though. The second screw gives that extra security. Set screws can work loose due to a variety of reasons, friction possibly, and it's possible that temperature variations cause metals to contract slightly and they can work loose. That or gremlins lol.

Below are pictures of my existing extender/adaptor. Would these help to clarify what I am looking for? I am looking for an a piece liimage.jpgke this except with two set screws. I should have done this earlier. If another angle would be better let me know and I will take more pictures. Thanks as always Mak!

image.jpg

That looks like it's got a pretty secure set screw already. I suppose getting another adaptor wouldn't hurt, especially if it gives you peace of mind. I reckon it would hold the diagonal, Meade 12mm plus the 3x Barlow. Although, having said that, it is the device holding the diagonal plus occupants from Sir Isaac Newton, so it may be better to have two set screws.

Does the Baader piece I sent earlier look like it will fit in my focuser? They look different but I don't know enough to be positive that it will replace my existing adaptor without a problem. Or maybe it will be great. I resent a picture of the Baader afaptor below.

image.png

It looks like it should do. Do you have a link to that page? The bottom part of that Baader should be 2" in diameter and fit into a 2" adaptor to allow 1.25" eyepieces to be used.

There's also stuff like this: http://baader-planetarium.uk.com/productinfo.php/Accessories/Adapters,_Rings,_Collars_etc/Baader_Click-Lock_Eyepiece_Clamp_31.7mm/3529

It's on the Agena Astro website under 1.25 adaptors/ Baader in the accessories section. There are a couple of adaptors that might work. Perhaps you can check a couple out if you have time? Knowing my level of expertise, or lack thereof, I will order the wrong thing! They have the Antares Dave was talking about, but I am leaning towards Baader. I get my disability payment next week and I am thinking about ordering an adapter (I believe it is 44 US?). I still have the 2.5x Barlow  I can use while waiting for Father's Day (to get the TV 3x)!

Oh boy, now I'm confused ?! You ever hear of Blue Fire? Agena has them too, whoever they are. I may want to stick with the set screws because the Baader click-lock is very expensive. Right now, assuming I have a good selection of eyepieces, my wishlist consists of the TV 3x, the adaptor (not sure which one yet), the WO helical focuser diagonal and perhaps the TV 15mm Plossl (and eventually the TV 20mm). I figure around 400 US. After my wife divorces me I can stay with you maybe! Kidding aside, I can get stuff slowly but surely and will have a really nice rig. Not that it's bad now. Talk in a bit.

OK, I've taken a look.

This Baader 2" to 1.25" Deluxe Reducer (Eyepiece Adapter) # T2-15 2408190 is probably what you want and more. It appears to have other T2 features so may come in useful with any future purchases. This is the one I'd go for.

This Antares 2" to 1.25" Twist-Lock Eyepiece Adapter would probably work well, but they appear to be out of stock.

This Blue Fireball 2" to 1.25" Eyepiece Adapter # E-07 looks OK but probably is no better than the stock one that came with your scope and probably came out of the same Pacific Rim factory.

This Celestron 1.25" Universal T-Adapter # 93625 has nothing to do with 2" to 1.25" adaptors but I find mine bloody useful as EVERY filter I own (Celestron, Baader, TeleVue & Lumicon) all fit into it.

59 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

OK, I've taken a look.

This Baader 2" to 1.25" Deluxe Reducer (Eyepiece Adapter) # T2-15 2408190 is probably what you want and more. It appears to have other T2 features so may come in useful with any future purchases. This is the one I'd go for.

This Antares 2" to 1.25" Twist-Lock Eyepiece Adapter would probably work well, but they appear to be out of stock.

This Blue Fireball 2" to 1.25" Eyepiece Adapter # E-07 looks OK but probably is no better than the stock one that came with your scope and probably came out of the same Pacific Rim factory.

This Celestron 1.25" Universal T-Adapter # 93625 has nothing to do with 2" to 1.25" adaptors but I find mine bloody useful as EVERY filter I own (Celestron, Baader, TeleVue & Lumicon) all fit into it.

Great list and write up Mak! I will get the Baader adaptor as soon as I can. That looks like the one we were checking out yesterday. Looks strong and well made and should last me forever. The good part is that most of the accessories I am investing in can be used on another telescope. Like a larger aperture apochromatic refractor ?! Lol, down the road. I think I have made some nice upgrades to my little Meade 102, I hope, and more to come. Thanks again for your time Mak! When is the big CAT coming again? Will check in later ✨

9 minutes ago, Ray1103 said:

Great list and write up Mak! I will get the Baader adaptor as soon as I can. That looks like the one we were checking out yesterday. Looks strong and well made and should last me forever. The good part is that most of the accessories I am investing in can be used on another telescope. Like a larger aperture apochromatic refractor ?! Lol, down the road. I think I have made some nice upgrades to my little Meade 102, I hope, and more to come. Thanks again for your time Mak! When is the big CAT coming again? Will check in later ✨

Yeah, the Baader should last a long time. Most decent eyepieces probably will if looked after. The Big Cat should be here tomorrow. Apparently I can get one of these things with it free as part of a promotion. I'm not actually sure what it does but it looks pretty cool. lol

You mean they are GIVING you the StarSense? Wow! You won't even have to align to any stars or objects, the StarSense will do it. I feel like I am in the stone age now, lol! I am learning a lot though, and you have paid your dues. Enjoy it Mak. That one accessary is worth a lot of money! Good luck with everything and send pictures after it is set up. Talk in a bit ✨

Yeah, it's part of the promotion when you purchase an 8" or 9.25" Evolution this month. There is something else given away with the 6" model. I never totally trust hardware or software anyway. The great thing about the Evolution is that I can switch the computer off and move the mount on clutches. This is why I invested in a fancy illuminated RACI. It's always good to have back up. The GOTO will come into its own finding difficult to see DSO's. Hopefully, with this high tech, I can maximise the actually looking at stuff time.

Archived