Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is the privy tent useful for observing? And how?

Today I need to block quite a few neighbouring lights around my house, which is a bit time consuming. I have seen people recommending privy tents. Now this one looks easy to set up:

http://no.tmart.com/New-Portable-Pop-Up-Fishing-Bathing-Toilet-Changing-Tent-Camping-Room-Green-US_p331895.html

Or an alternative:

http://www.campstuff.no/shop/kampa/kampa+privvy+toalett+telt.htm

But I see it is only 120x120cm wide. I use an EQ mount, sit on a chair and have a small table beside me. I also have a music standard available. My scope is very short (Maksutov) and I sit behind it.

But this doesn't all fit into the tent. What does one do in practice? Have the chair in the tent, with a music standard and have the scope standing outside? Maybe the tent is just way too small for observing with my instrument?? 

The other issue I have is that they seem quite light in colour, with thin cloth. I'm afraid that the neighbour's outside lights shine right through it and that I better block those in a better way than I do today. I have already made a washing line where I can hang up a dark green sheet from the building shop. That works. It is just only 1 meter wide, so don't have much space left to vary my position.

I've only really seen them used at star parties and they tend to have no floor. they block practically no light. they are used to cover the  telescope when not in use and perhaps set up the laptop when imaging to keep the dew off. 

I would not buy one to keep out light. maybe a few windbreaks like you seeon the beach could be better

23 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

I use an old curtain to put over my head and the end of my scope to keep extraneous light out. Looks kind of weird, but it works OK. :) 

I have a selfmade big hood for my coat. Works as long as I look into the scope, but not so well when I need to walk around to find a good spot to observe a comet between the trees.

28 minutes ago, Scott said:

I've only really seen them used at star parties and they tend to have no floor. they block practically no light. they are used to cover the  telescope when not in use and perhaps set up the laptop when imaging to keep the dew off. 

I would not buy one to keep out light. maybe a few windbreaks like you seeon the beach could be better

Thanks. You confirmed what I thought. I will look into the wind screen idea.

I use a "day tent" over the scope at star parties then remove it at night for use as a desk/pc bay for imaging by night. Day tent's are a bit bigger than privy's so would give a bit more screening. But like you say - they are a bit thin so not that effective in domestic light situations.

Archived