NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Farewell Jupiter

Aussie Dave

This is most likely the last imaging session on Jupiter with the Xbox 360 Live Vision cam. I gave it a good crack but conditions here wouldn't allow me to do any better. Hopefully the next time around with a better imaging camera and the little knowledge I've gained, I'll produce something that's more pleasing to the eye.

Taken with the Celestron Nexstar 8i SCT, standard 2x Barlow and UV/IR Cutoff filter. Processed with Autostakkert!2 (250 frames), Registax 6 for wavelets and finished in PaintDotNet with a quick colour fix filter from Pixlr-o-matic.

Jupiter C8i Xbox 360 camera 3x Barlow UVIR Cut.png

Jupiter C8i Xbox 360 cam 3x Barlow UVIR Cut Filter.png

Jupiter C8i Xbox 360 cam 3x Barlow UVIR Cut.png

36 minutes ago, Theninjagecko said:

Good capture. Personally I've found using my IR cut filter creates a blurry jupiter, But I'm using a SPC900, hoping for a better cam next time round myself.

Thanks ninjageko and you could be right about the filter. Secretly I wanted to prove (at least to myself), given the chance, that the Xbox 360 cam would perform as well as the SPC900 and Toucam. I still believe it can on a very good to excellent night.

14 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Nic way to send her off, plenty of detail there.

Cheers Pete. I will still use it for lunar and Saturn with Saturn being much higher in the sky early morning now, almost above me at around 4:00am. I'm hoping to split the ring, the Cassini Division as well as more detail in the planet from my handful of previous attempts. I should be concentrating on that.

Perhaps even some detail in Mars would be nice too which is very close to Saturn. Mars is going to be a tricky one.

Archived