NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observation near large river

Hello, I just want to get some thoughts about an idea.

I found a really nice observation spot near a large dam, on the upper side, close to the large basin of water (It's on top of the hill).  Last time I went there, there was quite a lot of wind, I don't know if it's typical of this spot or it was only a day with wind. My concern is the following, is it "ok" to watch close to this river or I simply risk to fog the optic in no time with the humidity?

OR maybe not, I don't know really yet.

The rapids must generate water particles but they are half a kilometre down so maybe they are far enough.

Any thoughts about this spot close to the dam? It looks fantastic really.

C4UpYiO.png?1

7EwrJzv.jpg?1

nE94zXj.jpg?1

I will try it, It's 50 minutes away, but I have another spot almost half the way just in case.

--> I have to go right now to contemplate the road with the remaining sun light. Ill make a report when I come back, if it was good or not.

thanks

It didn't happen finally. The forecast lied big time today, there was way too much clouds to do anything at the dam. 

I went there anyway and the trip was pleasant, beautiful roads and spring air. I stopped at a local village restaurant and it was a 100% positive experience,  REALLY rare it happens to me. Most of the time I get annoyed by something at the restaurant, but today was like heaven, the momentum was perfect, beautiful weather and sunset, I ate in front of the window, it was calm.

Parking was perfect for my car, not too many people. Inside the restaurant there were 2 lovely young waitress maybe 25 years old, the type I like, natural small village girls with no apparent tattoos and no funny attitude, delicate, feminine, classic natural small town girls. (: easy to talk. I had great warm service.

I ordered a Pizza and Caesar salad, it was perfect, great ingredients in the pizza, great salad, great glass of water.

Then I went to the Dam and there was a teenager tailgate party happening there..  with loud speakers and p- flo air intake kit modified cars. Astronomy was not meant to be tonight. After i drove to some other place near the large river and found a hidden entrance with no lock on.. so I got inside and watched the sky with my binoculars a little bit, it was ok.

--> the Dam is "the activity" of this small village, definitely, the kind of place where people go to during the night make love with their girlfriends because there is nothing else to do, that's totally it... I now doubt it's the right place for astronomy.

It was quite humid to.. I took a picture of the river again, I was actually close to the party in progress, looks calm but it was a terrible mess. :happy6:

OCsh4vx.jpg?1

By chance is someone is interested... I saw a wild turkey too. 

2r91f5B.jpg?1

Glad you enjoyed the pizza and the service at the restaurant. Hopefully you'll find a better and more peaceful location next time to do some astronomy. Just got back in after an early rise to view Mars & Saturn in my back garden. Seeing was a mess, but at least I got to see Saturns glorious rings again. :) 

Oh i did not know Saturn was back already.  nice if you had the chance to look at it. (:

Hope to see the glory of this planet also, last time I watched it I had poor eyepieces, it's going to be a great moment to watch it again.

Archived