Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A few Moon shots - 17 March 2016

geoflewis

Seeing as the Moon was up and I'd set up my 10" rig for what turned out to be an underwhelming try at Jupiter I thought that I might as well slew over to the moon and grab a few close ups...

56ee6d80d3fec_Moon(Plato)_2016-03-17-22256ee6d842c149_Moon(ArchimedesAristillus)56ee6d86a794c_Moon(EratosthenesMontesApp56ee6d89d8725_Moon(PtolemaeusAlphonsusRe

They are a bit grainy (from shooting through fog I think), but turned out better than my Jupiter.... Thanks for looking.

Thanks Alan, like many DSO imagers I tend to stay inside when the Moon is up, but I should just image it more often as its usually a treat when I do. Plato is probably one of my favourite craters (well it probably is for most people), but I particularly like this version seeing it set in a wider field setting than just zoomed right in on it which is what I'd usually do as per below taken Jan 2015....

Plato.jpg.4a5f3e72ddd8f804921f688eb9617c

Thanks Pat,

The gain was pretty low at 375, but you may be right about the focus. It may also be a bit of atmospheric dispersion as I was using a colour cam and I think that I sometimes get better results if I throw away the blue channel, or just use red or green channels (green gives me 50% of the pixels). These were quick captures at the end of my Jupiter session and then a quick and dirty process, so maybe I should take another look at the data. They came off the camera quite dark, so I pushed levels to brighten them which also may have increased noise. Thanks for looking and for the feedback.

Regards, Geof

Archived