Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Home made reflector

I'm sure lots of more knowledable gazers will put me right here but as I can't afford a scope I was thinking of building one for minimum outlay....I'm goodish with my hands!

What I was wondering is if anyone has used a concave dressing table mirror? (It's good to laugh!) or even an array of smaller mirrors arranged on a concave surface?

I know the view will be bad compared to the precision instruments available to buy but maybe better than nothing?

Thanks in advance.

Have not looked but you may be better to go find Astroboot and see what scope OTA's they have on offer - they often have an old scope that you can cannibalise to build another with.

They also generally have a few parabolic mirrors on sale from OTA's they have had to take apart, often 130mm, sometimes with a secondary and the spider.

I suspect that that would be a much better approach. Someone about 6 months back posted in the DIY section images of an untra-portable they built - in case you need any additional ideas.

I second the Astroboot suggestion. Even with the best will in the world a homemade scope isn't going to cost £0 and a fiver here and a fiver there there on materials soon adds up. On the other hand Astroboot currently have a SW 130 OTA for £35 which gives you both mirrors, a focuser, the tube and a couple of rings to attach to your mount with. You could then make a wooden Dobsonian mount for it which is probably the easiest part of any diy build.

You can buy telescope mirrors, you can even grind your own at home (not quick), but I've not heard of anyone repurposing a dressing table mirror. Best of all, you can just buy a telescope for not much ;)

I believe you can save quite a lot if you want a huge telescope and you grind your own mirror, a video you may find interesting on grinding mirrors and building scopes:

hi! I can sympathise with you on the funding issues, my choice is to gradually build a setup mainly using astroboot which has already been mentioned. I bought a pair of skywatcher 130m OTA's with A1 condition mirrors that gives  a cheaper start with free range to build up with better quality eyepieces and so on. I also thought of building an OTA, but decided at the moment it might be a pain in the parabolics as I have no work space. at present on astroboot you can get a complete skywatcher 130m, I think it has an EQ2 mount, for £75, it only mentions a few handling marks from being out of the box.

Thanks for the replies, all sound advice and I will get that OTA for £35 if it's still available on payday. But I am still curious and keen on a bit of bodgery!!

Besides....I've just chopped a plate mirror into 19 hexagons. :)

If you chopped it into 19 hexagons that would suggest you are going for adaptive optics which is considerably more expensive lol. :)

But seriously - if you have a budget spend in mind for the total cost, we might be able to help you a bit more constructively. It's a bit like buying a computer in bits - these days it can turn out to be more expensive then buying a fully assembled one. :)

Archived