SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Picked up an old Weltblick

In relation to my recent Polarex classic telescope purchase, I educated myself on the Unitron, Polarex and Weltblick brands. That's how I noticed a neat little scope at the german https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/teleskop-weltblick-fernrohr/268630165-242-4818

This is a pre-Unitron/Polarex Weltblick and not produced by Nihon Seiko. It has a "circke K" mark, that I am still digging into. It seems that the Welt Blick brand was put on a whole range of Japanese telescopes all the way back to the 60s (Maybe even 50s). As far as I know, the scope I have purchased is mid / late 60s.

The scope invoked that "must have it" feeling, and I probably should have saved my 100 Euros for my 16" Dob savings project. But now I can't wait for clear skies and a  "double star split shootout fest" with my Carl Zeiss, Polarex (not arrived yet, not worried yet...) and this "Circle K" enigma.

The photos taken in a garden are not of the scope I purchased but from another source.

56e07853d21cd_ScreenShot2016-03-09at20.2 

56e0785691f0a_ScreenShot2016-03-09at20.2

tele_weltblick_g3.jpg.b975cc4e8a67b885b5

tele_weltblick_g1.jpg.2319fed4d2e2f63913

Firmenschild Fernrohr.JPG

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 20.21.49.png

56e07a892c520_ScreenShot2016-03-09at20.3

7 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

Its a Unitron branded for the German market

http://www.company7.com/library/unitron/notes.html

On your travels, look out for a Jason 303  Another hidden little gem

According to my understanding, Unitron and Polarex are both produced by Nihon Seiko. But I am not sure all Weltblick scopes are produced by Nihon Seiko.  

From Company 7

"In Germany these were marketed from the early 1960’s through the Spring of 1985 as UNITRON by Manfred Wachter Präzisionsmechanik und Optik of Bodelshausen at Tübingen (near Stuttgart), whose well illustrated literature remains a good source of information about these products even today. In the mid 1980’s these were distributed by Neckermann AG based in Frankfurt, Germany that sold these bearing the trade name WELTBLICK (World View)."

If you find a Welt Blick after 1980 it's a "Unitron" (N.S), earlier Welt Blick scopes may not be "Unitrons" (or N.S produced). 

Correct me if I am wrong here.

35 minutes ago, glennbech said:

If you find a Welt Blick after 1980 it's a "Unitron" (N.S), earlier Welt Blick scopes may not be "Unitrons" (or N.S produced). 

Correct me if I am wrong here.

Yes I saw that

But it also says not all had the N.S name on them, probaly hence the circle K

Circle K could well be the company Kasai.  Circle T is another major producer

The marking identifies the producer of the scope (Towa is Circle T, N.S is Nihon Seiko etc)? As far as I understand the Polarex and Unitron scopes are sought after, exactly because they were produced by Nihon Seiko. WeltBlick scopes, produced by other producers would not be so collectible? 

11 hours ago, glennbech said:

Do you have any links or references to it? 

I came across reports of them on Cloudy Nights after seeing one for sale here in the UK.

This one was for sale on ebay , com  http://www.ebay.com/itm/JASON-STAR-SEARCH-TELESCOPE-100-MODEL-303-/281954522586?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

jason.jpg

Intresting, seems that circle K is also on some old tasco telescopes as well

It would seem to me, that circle K were a producer of optics used by others too, along with circle T and others

Could it be, that circle K was in fact Vixen  http://www.company7.com/vixen/history.html

Most people seem to think circle K belonged to Kenko

circle K.jpg

That one will be a Tanzutsu(Circle Z), produced during the 1980s, and of a good deal of plastic.  I have one myself, and also had off of eBay...

refractor11.jpg.3c5205ee66e9db1bbf4d012f

The doublet-lens within my own is quite good, and seemingly too good for its housing...

070815b.thumb.jpg.669341b088cf7479f4f0e8

Great find there. If its circle K its more than likely a Kenko. Circle T and K made scopes that were sold by different companies, Tasco, Swift etc, I have a Circle T (Towa 339) which is actually branded Swift so seeing the same scope under different names like Weltblick is not uncommon.

That's a Japanese EQ mount design used by quite a few manufacturers in particularly Circle T and K, a very typical mount of its day, very elegant. Good optics in the scope as well

DHL Tracking indicates that a very unlikely event of good Astro-weather and arrival of this scope is about to happen. I'll post pictures and first light! I have a Polarex Model 133 (60/700), see http://www.unitronhistory.com/models/polarex/polarex-model-133-n/  incoming soon as well (stuck in customs), it will be fun to see how these scopes compare to my Willian Optics and Zeiss for moon/double stars :-)   

• 2 weeks later...

I and my Weltblick have had quite a journey since I got it. After first light I noticed a couple of problems with the optics. Star images were okay, and the moon looked good with little or no CA.

The view of Jupiter brought out the problem. The planet showed a couple of yellow halos, the size of the planet . It was also difficult to get a good clear image because of glare and internal reflections. 

Looking more closely at the lens it had traces of vaporized fluids and dust between the air spaced elements. 

I got some help over "at another forum, with a lot of classic telescope  enthusiasts" and did my first split/clean/reassemble of an air spaced doublet. 

gFpZXV3FzZYj5W0vGteZFLs4fkslzMjuyCA8kizx

The result was still not good, the image improved but the halos were still there. Looking down the tube shows this ;

jJShlsA4yVSsrGfdvsQbn8XDR-ZqQntL_iVfXuOr

Looks like the telescope maker had a bad day. There is a gap between the focuser-end baffle and the tube. The baffles themselves are also not properly painted, something that should be done? This is what I am working on at the moment. 

I also experienced some slack in the RA axis and have fixed that by taking the entire EQ mount apart for re-lube and tightening. This was the part causing problems. It is now cleaned and ready for a re-grease and assembly:

7gU7j-l9KhKRtWy-4lavV45cVzkri-KhANpd9Flr

I am glad I did not give up on the telescope. I have put down some effort in it now, and as soon as I fix the baffles issues I am sure it will perform very well on planets and bright stars as well!

Yes, I think it's worth it. The telescope and mount are in very good overall shape for its age, and the kit is nearly complete.  It feels good to restore, and improve its function to something useable that fills a hole in my current setup (slow refractor). I have the Zeiss, but the wooden tripod and cast and solid EQ mount has it's charm. I can also very easily set it up as a solar scope, with a new filter, if I want. The gear is included in the kit.

The Jason is in transit :)  

Archived