Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binotron 27

After much testing of my dobs I figure that I can get the weight induced collimation drift under control. I tested using a 3.25lb total weight in both dobs. A bit of a hillbilly set up I must add. Long story about all this, with interesting results. The binos, EP's and everything above the focuser weighs about 1.7 lbs, so this should help.

Anyway, I ordered a Denkmeir Binotron 27 package today with the larger OCS A45 cell and the collimating reticle. It should be here within 6 weeks hopefully to try out, looking forward to this!

Testing moonlight 008.JPG

bad collimation.JPG

Sounds interesting Gerry. Look forward to seeing how you get on. I've just picked up a pair of TS Binoviewers myself, not in the same league as the Denks but will be interesting to see how I get on with them.

I assume they are for deep sky not planetary use? Can you reach focus without a Barlow?

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Sounds interesting Gerry. Look forward to seeing how you get on. I've just picked up a pair of TS Binoviewers myself, not in the same league as the Denks but will be interesting to see how I get on with them.

I assume they are for deep sky not planetary use? Can you reach focus without a Barlow?

Well, I'm hoping both Stu! Please tell me they will be good for lunar/planetary :confused1::dontknow:!

The system includes a dob spacer for the OCS A45 which can be adjusted lengthwise to get low power focus. It has a power switch 1.3x,2.3x and 3 x each requiring different levels of infocus ( low needs the most). They are also collimatable and I ordered the collimation reticle. Russ has given me an extra spacer just in case I need it for the 15"- he offered it for free.

The VX10 should be relatively easy to make the Binotrons to work in, the 15" not sure yet...

The silver ring between the segments on the nosepiece is where you adjust focus...

binotrons.JPG

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Well, I'm hoping both Stu! Please tell me they will be good for lunar/planetary :confused1::dontknow:!

The system includes a dob spacer for the OCS A45 which can be adjusted lengthwise to get low power focus. It has a power switch 1.3x,2.3x and 3 x each requiring different levels of infocus ( low needs the most). They are also collimatable and I ordered the collimation reticle. Russ has given me an extra spacer just in case I need it for the 15"- he offered it for free.

The VX10 should be relatively easy to make the Binotrons to work in, the 15" not sure yet...

The silver ring between the segments on the nosepiece is where you adjust focus...

binotrons.JPG

No, they should be fine for high power lunar/planetary work. The normal problem is being able to keep the power low enough for larger DSOs but I'm sure you will be fine. They've got lovely big prisms. Which focal length eyepieces will you have available?

Archived