Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

celestron cg5 advance mount motor board replacment

hi everybody im looking for help bought a c 10 with cg5 advance mount at christmas for daughter with motor board not working it had burned out so i replaced today connected new board up and it burned stright away the chip on the board burned is there anybody that knows what connections go where and has anybody got pictures really need help with this as the first board cost me 190 dollars and as i live in ireland it took some time to recive part  and part very costly thanks regards johnisabelle

13 hours ago, johnisabelle said:

hi everybody im looking for help bought a c 10 with cg5 advance mount at christmas for daughter with motor board not working it had burned out so i replaced today connected new board up and it burned stright away the chip on the board burned is there anybody that knows what connections go where and has anybody got pictures really need help with this as the first board cost me 190 dollars and as i live in ireland it took some time to recive part  and part very costly thanks regards johnisabelle

It might be better to get the mount checked out by an authorised Celestron dealer. There may have been a reason why the original board burnt out which was not evident when you plugged in the replacement and then caused the new board to also fail.

Peter I was just thinking if I can see what has burnt out I may be able to figure out why, after all there is no point in replacing the main board if you don't know what caused it in the first place. I wholeheartedly agree with taking it to an authorised dealer, but if you have a working board to go with it that is a big cost saving.

If the new board burn out as soon as it was connected, it sounds logical to assume there is a fault somewhere in a component or the wiring. If you have a Volt meter can you check the incoming voltages to the board and report back, I am sure some of our knowledgeable electronic buffs may be able to comment, once this is known. A good electronics repair Engineer may well be able to repair the boards for you, if you can find a small company which deals in such things, it is certainly, I would think, going to be cheaper than $190. Hope you solve the problem :)

• Like 1

Yes I have spoken to previous owner he daid he took boards out to have a look and didnt know what connections when back he said he got confused so this is where im stuck trying to find out whats the wright layout of putting connections on the wright way as I have new board on the way and dpnt want to burn this one thanks all help needed fast as daughter is quite upset 

Please post a pic so we can see which board it is. If there are 5 connectors they are:

ALT = Dec Motor

AZM = RA Motor

SBB = Hand Controller connection

AG = Autoguider or Aux port

If there is one 2 pin connector left this is power in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi heres the pictures og cg5 motor where it had burned due to past owner  switching connections and putting them on wrong now i  have orderd a second motor board and im trying to get help to connect it properly as i burned a new board yesterday  so while a new board is bening delivered can anybody help me to put it wright as my daughter is very upset over scope and mount  not working  its a cg5 advance mount  pleeeeese help 

IMG_20160308_203016.jpg

IMG_20160308_203016.jpg

IMG_20160308_203016.jpg

Edited by johnisabelle
trying to add photo

hi heres the pictures og cg5 motor where it had burned due to past owner  switching connections and putting them on wrong now i  have orderd a second motor board and im trying to get help to connect it properly as i burned a new board yesterday  so while a new board is bening delivered can anybody help me to put it wright as my daughter is very upset over scope and mount  not working  its a cg5 advance mount  pleeeeese help regafile:///C:/Users/Aisling/Desktop/phone%20photos/IMG_20160308_203016.jpgrds johnisabelle

IMG_20160308_203016.jpg

IMG_20160308_203127.jpg

Edited by johnisabelle
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi all.  Really appreciate this post because I had the same problem.  At the beginning I never got the alignment, if I selected goto right the telescope moved to left...

Years ago I connected in a wrong way the cables DEC and Hand Control in the mount, its connector are RJ similar, then the motor board was burned. THIS IS VERY important to connect properly the cables and use a flag with tape to help me in the nights. After I replaced the motor board with a new from Amazon twice, the first burned, the second time I connected internally the new board with the same configuration of cables connection as the old board, but again moves in wrong way, then I tried to update the firmware due to never the alignment works, so I think the update destroyed the software, then hand control said that the motors were not found; the third card worked but again never I could got the alignment, the reason was that internally the board cables were connected in wrong way, maybe since fabrication.

The great solution was until you posted this theme with your pic. I could connect it properly then now works fine and the firmware update worked. Now, for first time I got the polar alignment, finding the stars and nebulae. I am happy for this after of years trying and trying how to solve the issue.

Thanks a lot for this.

20200428_141807.thumb.jpg.a9e06a23f4dd722a39cb6b3876fc1b08.jpg

Edited by Rodrigo Montufar