NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ES 24mm 82 causing focuser to fall inwards

Just put the ES 24mm 82 into the focuser of my 250px for the first time in preparation for a potential observing session tonight. It was worrying me for a moment until I realised I needed to put the spacer in to achieve focus haha.

Only problem is that the weight of the EP is causing the focuser to fall inwards, unlike the focuser in my old scope this one seems to not have full grip on the focuser tube and slides a lot. If I focus all the way in/out without an EP in there I can still turn the focuser easily with only increased resistance. I can lock the focuser but it requires me to be focused first which is difficult. Is this something I can tighten a screw somewhere to fix?

Thanks!

~pip

Underneath there is usually an alan key adjustment for tension as mentioned by Gerry.

The other possibility is that the grease used in the focuser unit has made it on to the plate and so there is little friction.

Look underneath first and work out what the various screws do, most likely to be that the tension needs setting correctly.

If it is a case of grease where it should not be then it will mean cleaning it off internally.

49 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Is there an Allen key set screw under the lock knob? Very slightly tightening it might help, not much at a time...

9 minutes ago, ronin said:

Underneath there is usually an alan key adjustment for tension as mentioned by Gerry.

The other possibility is that the grease used in the focuser unit has made it on to the plate and so there is little friction.

Look underneath first and work out what the various screws do, most likely to be that the tension needs setting correctly.

If it is a case of grease where it should not be then it will mean cleaning it off internally.

Thanks! This worked a treat!

It's all in the car now, waiting for darkness!

Archived