Orion-USA & Their New "Jupiter-Filter."

As many of you know - I am a certified Filter-Nut. I have no less than 35 of them. Mostly 1.25" ones.

So when I got a email from Orion informing me they have a new Jupiter-Filter, I went and took a look. Orion had had tried to peddle one of these before. It turned out to be a Wratten 80A Blue filter - marked as a 'Jupiter-Filter' in a new box. For $5.00 more than a regular #80A-Blue Filter which sold for $12.50! You could see 'Blue' and 80A on the filter they were calling a new Jupiter-Filter. I called them out on this in a email - offering to publicize this deception if they didn't change their minds. And Orion promptly removed the ads.

Guess what? They're doing it again. First off - here's a link to their on-line catalog offering:

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Eyepiece-Filters/125-Orion-Jupiter-Observation-Eyepiece-Filter/pc/-1/c/3/sc/48/p/101703.uts

And here's a set of 4 colour-filters, including the 80A-Blue, for $49.99:

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Eyepiece-Filters/125-Orion-Basic-Set-of-Four-Color-Filters/pc/-1/c/3/sc/48/p/99590.uts

The image I'm leaving is one of their own of their so-called 'Jupiter-Filter.'

I certainly don't wish to malign the 80A-Blue filters. I have one. It is one of my most used filters for many objects - including Jupiter. It's also quite nice for high-contrast views of our Moon. And for cooling down the glare from Venus, to name a few. If you don't have any colour filters and you're thinking of getting a few, I'd start with an 80A Blue. What I wouldn't suggest getting is the wool pulled over your eyes by a company that is trying to fool it's customers with deceptive marketing-practices. Don't give them a $7.50 tip for such a hoax.

Colourful-Skies,

Dave

56d8ebbddb5f4_OrionJupiter-Filter19.99.p

I agree that the 80A is a great filter to view Jupiter... that said, I dont think Orion add/sale really a hoax, they labeled it as a "Jupiter Observing Eyepiece filter, which it is good for at this color and the image is a picture of a 80A filter, so no deceptive advertising there.. as for the higher price, its a business and I'm sure most if not all observers do their research before purchasing and this heads-up will be of great help to save a few $$.

Another great Jupiter and Saturn observing combo I found did wonder to my views was stacked Baader Contrast booster and Booder Moon & Sky glow (neodumium) filter. The difference it make to revealing faint detail on clear nights has to be seen to be believed.

It is amazing what some companies will try but I suppose that knowing the blue range work on Jupiter it's not really law breaking and I would have thought most seasoned astronomers would see through it.

I used to take a different and much more expensive also more stupid way to use blue filters. I used to have a very large selection of Lee Photographic filters, each one costing around the 40 pounds mark. I had 80 A and B as well as 82A, I used to hold them over certain eyepieces and I found it did help a fair bit. I also had a yellow filter that seemed to help some nights but I forget the number now. I don't bother at all now but often wish I had a cheap set.

I'm going to market an empty filter ring with "Ultimate 100% Transmission Lunar and Planetary Filter" engraved around the edge. :D

My "unique selling point" will be to supply it with a pencil, a sketch pad and a guide to assessing the seeing conditions. Used together with owner supplied patience I reckon this "kit" will deliver great lunar and planetary viewing :icon_cool:

10 hours ago, John said:

I'm going to market an empty filter ring with "Ultimate 100% Transmission Lunar and Planetary Filter" engraved around the edge. :D

My "unique selling point" will be to supply it with a pencil, a sketch pad and a guide to assessing the seeing conditions. Used together with owner supplied patience I reckon this "kit" will deliver great lunar and planetary viewing :icon_cool:

Perhaps I can hire you as a sales-agent for these:

56d9f418e7fcd_SingularityFilter.jpg.7b50

Dave

Archived