NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More amazing Hubble achievements

Stu

If Hubble could see that far... How far's JWST gonna go!?!!?

In some ways it's a shame we can't get our ground based scopes to go as deep into the IR or darkness... Im sure the 100+m of the VLT would show us a lot about that galaxy if it were a space telescope!

This galaxy seems to be quite close to the original deep field, roughly the same patch in UMa.

That's pretty amazing for visual galaxies and the JWST will provide some more awesome deeper pictures, but I think the BBC have forgotten about COBE and WMAP which have already looked back much further with the CMB surveys they have done. :)

Just now, Soupy said:

That's pretty amazing for visual galaxies and the JWST will provide some more awesome deeper pictures, but I think the BBC have forgotten about COBE and WMAP which have already looked back much further with the CMB surveys they have done. :)

The ESA & official HST twitter were raving about this much the same. I can guess that this is important since they got an accurate reading this time and not just "Well, it's somewhere around ##### light years away" and that it lead to the thought that several galaxies in previous hubble images might also be so far away or further!

Oh... Don't take my post the wrong way, I do think it is amazing and no doubt will be a record for visual galaxies.

I'm just saying that very distant galaxies will be so far red shifted they will no longer be in the visible part of the EM spectrum. Hubble therefore is limited by its equipment. JWST will be less so as it will view in infra red allowing it to see galaxies that are more redshifted therefore older. But to see further you need to go to the microwave part of the spectrum, which is exactly what COBE and WMAP have done :)

18 hours ago, Soupy said:

Oh... Don't take my post the wrong way, I do think it is amazing and no doubt will be a record for visual galaxies.

I'm just saying that very distant galaxies will be so far red shifted they will no longer be in the visible part of the EM spectrum. Hubble therefore is limited by its equipment. JWST will be less so as it will view in infra red allowing it to see galaxies that are more redshifted therefore older. But to see further you need to go to the microwave part of the spectrum, which is exactly what COBE and WMAP have done :)

But Hubble does see in the IR... Not as far as JWST will, but it can.

Hubble-wavelengths.jpg

As far as the microwave observations go, I think they'd be unlikely to reach the same depth as Hubble when it comes to these distant galaxies... It's really small, not especially bright (probably dimmer than 30th mag) so when these microwave surveys map the sky, observing at such a smaller wavelength & requiring so much more aperture to get the same sharpness...

ilc_9yr_moll2048BW.png

That's the CMB imaged by WMAP, not especially detailed by Hubble standards... In fact not even by visual standards as it is only to a resolution of 0.2 degrees (according to the website). Unlikely to be finding ancient galaxies with this.

Nice graphics pipnina, and yes all CCD's have sensitivity in the near IR so of course Hubble will be able to image in this area of the EM spectrum.

As for WMAP, again you're right about the survey not going to be as detailed as Hubble, and again they will not be able to pick up any ancient galaxies, but not because of the resolution but because they are looking back to a time when galaxies have not yet formed.

Archived