NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 410 in 7 nm Ha

cfpendock

Eventually the sky cleared (a bit) and I managed to get some more data for this one.  It wasn't particularly clear but I was fed up with waiting for good weather, and was afraid that if I missed the opportunity then it would be another month gone....and in the event I was correct!  

So in total there is 10 x 15 minutes from near the full moon but with good seeing, and another 9 x 20 minutes without the moon but with awful seeing.  So it is five and a half hours in total, and I have to say I was surprised at how much nebulosity surrounds this object.  Tak and Atik as below.

Chris

tadpoles.thumb.png.a38a640dc462ac90f02ca

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

And the Tadpoles are eleven light years long

Thank you Olly.  Yes, it's a good point about the length of the tails.  I am afraid I have become rather blasé about scale - whether its molecular or the interstellar...

Chris

9 hours ago, Martin-Devon said:

I've always found it tricky to bring the tadpoles out properly with good contrast in this target,

Thank you for your kind comment Martin.  Yes I know what you mean about the contrast - I actually totally reprocessed this one three times because I wasn't happy with it.  I wanted to keep as much of the surrounding nebula as possible, but I found it very difficult to keep the required contrast in the tadpoles.  Still, most images seem to throw up some sort of "special" techniques.

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

This target is one of those with a quality that suits the mono format

Thank you very much Barry.  I agree absolutely that some targets seem to be much better in mono than RGB or HaRGB colour - another one (for me) is the elephant.  Narrowband of course is different, as is well illustrated by your own superb rendition of this target.

Chris

22 hours ago, cfpendock said:

Thank you for your kind comment Martin.  Yes I know what you mean about the contrast - I actually totally reprocessed this one three times because I wasn't happy with it.  I wanted to keep as much of the surrounding nebula as possible, but I found it very difficult to keep the required contrast in the tadpoles.  Still, most images seem to throw up some sort of "special" techniques.

Superb image!

I really need to start using my mono CCD camera and NB filters. Regarding keeping contrast on parts of an image while working on other parts, I found that saving all the versions at different stages during processing and then merging the best parts of the different versions using layer masks in Photoshop really helps. So if you had good contrast in the tadpoles and lost it during further processing, no worries, you can easily fix it by layering in the tadpoles from an earlier version.

Archived