NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Mains Power

bendiddley

Yes, is the short answer. But for safety make sure you run everything from an RCD, in the house. That means all 240 volt wiring external to the house is protected and so are you!

If you do use a long (longer than a couple of metres), 12 volt lead make sure it is heavy gauge wire, at least 2.5mm csa. That is to combat voltage drop in the wiring under heavy load. If only a few amps used (less than 2 or 3) not so important, but usually you will find it could be around 6-10 amps at peak times. Slewing and dew heaters consume  a few amps, add in a camera,,, you get the drift!

Derek

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 6 metre  long I suspect that that cable is too small in the CSA. (OK for very light loading.) Ask what it actually is. You can loose over a volt  in the wire alone due to resistance of the cable when under a heavy (6 amp) load. BUT it depends entirely on the cross section of the cable a nd what the cable is made from. 99.99 % of all cases it is good quality copper. Some charlatans will sell steel or aluminium cable with a copper sheath, (Chinese or some such rubbish). FLO are not one of them but personally I think 6 metres is too long unless it is 2.5mm csa.

Just remember the bigger the CSA of the cable, under heavy current the less the voltage drop in the cable, as the resistance is lower.

AND yes DEATH! The RCD trips usually at 30mA. If there is a short it protects you and your equipment from  a serious electric shock. If you are outsde in the cold and WET you could die before a fuse blew, but the RCD will trip and save your life.

Derek

8 hours ago, bendiddley said:

Thanks for the advice. Re the RCD, what could happen that would trigger it, what's it protecting you from?

How about the unknown :)

The RCD is a device which if it detects an imbalance in the current flowing in the mains L & N leads which is greater than its detection limits then it breaks the circuit,

It is then up to you to work out why it triggered.

Thankfully given that death has been avoided, you can use your grey cells to work out why it occurred. And if you can't then it is then time to pay someone who can.

You have received lots of helpful advice so far so my advice is to review what you have received and work out a way forward.

If it helps I am chartered electrical engineer who has a healthy respect for the killing capability of mains electricity but I have laid mains to my shed  about 36m ( protected by a RCD ) and I use a 30A 13.8v Linear power supply to drive my rig through 2 x 12 metre lengths of twin speaker wire ( I think it is 100 strands )

my maximum current draw to date is about 8.5 amps  so I have lots in reserve. But likes Demon Barber's suggested supply it also has an illuminated voltmeter and ammeter so with the aid of a webcam I can  remotely monitor what current my rig is drawing.

If FLO does not have a fused power lead then you can always try astromomiser http://astronomiser.co.uk/pwrhbx.htm#sspwr

Andy

6 hours ago, Physopto said:

ND yes DEATH! The RCD trips usually at 30mA. If there is a short it protects you and your equipment from  a serious electric shock. If you are outsde in the cold and WET you could die before a fuse blew, but the RCD will trip and save your life.

<pedant mode on>

If memory serves me right then the 30mA refers to an imbalance in the Live and Neutral lines.  If there is a short on the lines then you are then reliant on the fuse capability of the circuit breaker which has a wide range of trigger currents :)

<pedant mode off>

Andy

10 hours ago, AndyKeogh said:

I use a 30A 13.8v Linear power supply to drive my rig through 2 x 12 metre lengths of twin speaker wire ( I think it is 100 strands )

my maximum current draw to date is about 8.5 amps  so I have lots in reserve.

Andy

I measured the diameter of the copper cores of my speaker wire and it is 1.8mm which gives a CSA slightly more than 2.5 millimetres squared.  I use 2 cables in parallel so that my maximum voltage drop is about 0.6V when I am slewing in both axis, dew heaters on full and my cameras are on maximum cooling. The important message is to make sure that as others have said that the voltage at the mount is not marginal. 

To reinforce the need for fuses, I once made a mistake when connecting the 2 cables at the scope end which basically shorted the 2 cables together.  The PSU fuse did not blow!!  But the 44 amp draw on the meter told me something was wrong.

Andy

Archived